It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Telescoping fly rod ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:18 am • # 1 

So does anyone make an UL Telescoping fly rod ? Not a Tenkara but a real rod with eyelets ? I see Kastking has a nice looking 5wt and 8 wt but that's not an UL even though I may pick one up for fhits and giggles ! :lol So anyone ? Opinions ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 pm • # 2 

I posted a reply about 2 hours ago and it apparently disappeared. Try again.

Ron,
Take a look on Amazon. A friend of mine bought an Eagle Claw 5 piece telescoping fiberglass fly rod that casts a 3 weight line. I was pretty skeptical until he let me cast it. It is a fairly fast, stiff action, but will definitely cast a 3 weight line for a pretty good distance. Not the best for casting in close, but will work. Cheap looking but functional. If I remember correctly, he got the rod, a reel, and a 3 weight line for about $25. Just go to Amazon and search for "telescoping fiberglass fly rod". It currently shows the same rod listed under Eagle Claw or Rosewood brand. The rod is 6'6" long.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 pm • # 3 

Larry , I saw that one but I cant have a black spongy grip , too cheesy .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 pm • # 4 

It shows the Eagle Claw with black foam grip, but the Rosewood is shown with cork grip. Appears to be same rod, just different grips. On the Rosewood, it says spinning rod, but shows a fly rod and describes it as a 3 weight. It offers the option of cork or EVA foam grip.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:47 am • # 5 

I just looked at them and they appear to have spinning rod guides on them . I wonder if all telescoping fly rods have guides like that .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 am • # 6 

The main problem with designing a telescoping fly rod is that the sections either have to be incredibly short (and thereby poorly tapered) or the guides have to be way too far apart for anything resembling good casting. If conditions make a telescoping rod desirable or necessary (and I can think of some), tenkara and/or UL spinning with a floating bubble and fly are by far the better choices.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 am • # 7 

Cross Creek wrote:
The main problem with designing a telescoping fly rod is that the sections either have to be incredibly short (and thereby poorly tapered) or the guides have to be way too far apart for anything resembling good casting. If conditions make a telescoping rod desirable or necessary (and I can think of some), tenkara and/or UL spinning with a floating bubble and fly are by far the better choices.

Thats all good and well but I want a telescoping rod . I have all of the other rods you mentioned , I even have a Tenkara (very cheap ) but now I want a telly to round out my collection . I doubt I'll ever fish it but it would be nice to have that option .If everything in life had to make sense most all of us would be in trouble .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 pm • # 8 

Cross Creek wrote:

Cross Creek,
Have you actually had personal experience with such a rod? I have had, and my conclusions are a bit different from yours.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 pm • # 9 

PampasPete wrote:
Cross Creek wrote:

Cross Creek,
Have you actually had personal experience with such a rod? I have had, and my conclusions are a bit different from yours.

And what is your impression / conclusion / opinion Pete ?I'm almost to pull the trigger on one .
TIA Ron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 pm • # 10 

jangles wrote:
And what is your impression / conclusion / opinion Pete ?I'm almost to pull the trigger on one .
TIA Ron

Well Ron, it’s like this. So far I have built up three fly rods based on telescoping non-fly rods. The first is a carbon fiber-fiberglass composite 5’8” 000-weight, the second one is a carbon fiber 7 1/2’ –weight, and the third one is a carbon fiber-fiberglass composite 6’3” 0-weight. Here is a link to a report showing the first one. Let’s hope that Photobucket has released our photos without paying the ransom.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=10018&hilit=lambari

As Cross Creek mentioned, since the guide spacing depends on section length it is less than optimal. This was especially true on the first one in the tip section. On the next two an extra guide was added near the middle of the tip section by wrapping it on a small section of sliding tube.

Despite the less than optimal guide spacing the casting capability is still pretty good. I would estimate that about 5 to 10 feet of distance is sacrificed due to the funky guide spacing, but that seems like a worthwhile trade-off for increased portability. It would be possible to improve the guide spacing by adding extra guides at the middle of a couple more sections with a sliding tube.

In your case, the Eagle Claw or Rosewood rods seem like viable solutions. If you decide to try that I hope it works out well for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:44 pm • # 11 

Pampas Pete ,
I actually just bought an 8' Actionrod made in the 50s . It's in great shape except for one foot on the second guide bent and pulled from the threads . When it gets here I'll attempt to bend it back into position and epoxy it .

The guy didn't know what wt it is but I suspect it's a 5 or so .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:07 am • # 12 

That's a pretty cool looking rod!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:53 pm • # 13 

The Actionrod #6800 came on the market in 1956 at a price of $25.00. Most 8' rods in those days would have been 6 or 7 weights, and I suspect with that many sections in a telescoping rod, it would probably take a 7 or 8 weight to load the rod properly.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:23 pm • # 14 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
The Actionrod #6800 came on the market in 1956 at a price of $25.00. Most 8' rods in those days would have been 6 or 7 weights, and I suspect with that many sections in a telescoping rod, it would probably take a 7 or 8 weight to load the rod properly.

Larry

Thanks for the info Larry .
I really didnt buy it to fish rather because it was cool ! I'm still looking at the Kastking in a 5wt but for this forums purpose it's really a 3 wt !! :lol

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply