It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Reel advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:32 pm • # 1 

On the hunt for a new 3 weight setup and I’m finding it difficult to decide on a reel. The rod is a 8’6 tfo pro 2 and I plan on using it for both freshwater and light saltwater situations. I’m not too hard on my gear and rarely sink a reel in the salt so I don’t find it necessary to spend $300+. Was hoping someone on here could recommend something reliable in the sub 250$ range. Reels like the Redington rise, New bvk and Allen trout have caught my attention but it’s hard to know what’s worth the money. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Reel advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:19 pm • # 2 

Orvis Hydros SL or the Battenkill Disc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:25 pm • # 3 

I already have a hydros in a 6wt and I have no complaints but I’m looking for something a little sleeker/lighter for an UL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 pm • # 4 

Allen Trout II is hard to beat for the price. I’m very happy with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 am • # 5 

Maxcatch HVC. Sub $100, smooth bulletproof drag, and very light so you can oversize the reel and get all the advantages of that. I use a 5/6 on my 2wt rods and they balance perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:16 pm • # 6 

I have Fariland , Goture , Maxcatch and one I can't spell . All are decent to good looking , have disc drags , billet aluminum , ball bearings and under $50 . BUT , definitely not for reel snobs as they dont cost enough . lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:51 pm • # 7 

I have the same rod and use a Lamson Liquid 1, it balances nicely and is reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:28 pm • # 8 

I just ordered several graphite reels from Fly Shack for $20 each. I ordered the three sizes in the UL range. They are large arbor. I like the Cahill Crytal River reels I use to get at Academy but Academy stopped carrying them and I can't find the Cahill 3wt reel on the web.
However, this cheap graphite comes in a 1/2 wt, 2/3 wt and 3/4 (these are what I ordered) and a 5/6 and 7/8. I like a large arbor reel so I am hoping I like these as much as I like the small arbor Cahills.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm • # 9 

I'd put a Galvan Brookie 4/5 on it. Smack at $250. These reels are very light, so you can put the bigger reel on it and hold extra backing in case you snag a real runner of a fish. :)

Plus, the galvan is made in the USA, has some great anodizing, and looks great.

The only downside is, if you don't know how to palm a reel for drag. This reel does not have a disc drag.

If you want a very nice disc drag reel that is MADE for saltwater, there is a nice Bauer JM2 for about $250 on ebay right now. Used, but made in the USA and built like the proverbial ...ummm....brick...well, you know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 am • # 10 
Administrator

JimRed wrote:
I just ordered several graphite reels from Fly Shack for $20 each. I ordered the three sizes in the UL range. They are large arbor. I like the Cahill Crytal River reels I use to get at Academy but Academy stopped carrying them and I can't find the Cahill 3wt reel on the web.
However, this cheap graphite comes in a 1/2 wt, 2/3 wt and 3/4 (these are what I ordered) and a 5/6 and 7/8. I like a large arbor reel so I am hoping I like these as much as I like the small arbor Cahills.

Please post some photos when you get a chance.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:28 pm • # 11 

keebranch wrote:
JimRed wrote:

Please post some photos when you get a chance.
Will do Les. Just got them on order so it will take a week or so to receive.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:45 pm • # 12 

Thanks for all the recommendations. Ended up buying a redington rise on sale during cyber Monday. First impressions were okay, reel felt light and drag was smooth. Now after less than a month the drag knob is starting to seize up and become glitchy especially at the lower end of adjustments so it will soon be returned. Was lucky enough to try out a danielsson f3w while here in Sweden and decided I will be getting one of those instead. Far superior reel in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:26 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Try hot sauce reel oil on your handle. Might work out to losing up the part.

Les

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply