It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: I've been using these
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:58 pm • # 1 

for the last two years and have had absolutely NO failures . They are smooth and the drag is plenty strong for 20+ inch browns . How can I justify buying reels that cost many many times more , you tell me . ?

https://www.fairiland.com/collections/f ... arge-arbor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:01 pm • # 2 

Ron: Very interesting! Do you know where they are made?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:06 pm • # 3 

I'm pretty sure theyre made in china .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:27 pm • # 4 

jangles wrote:
How can I justify buying reels that cost many many times more , you tell me . ?

Perhaps you can’t justify paying more, much of this depends on how much you have in terms of tackle and how much you actually fish it.

For me, I don’t have hordes of tackle for spinning or fly. What I do have I fish the livin’ heck out of and paying a bit more is well worth it. Have gone on the cheaper side of things before and it simply doesn’t stand up to frequent or heavy use very well.

Now, you show me something dirt cheap and VERY simple in design, may raise my eyebrows a bit as to the potential. Once we start getting many parts and more complicated designs, I’ll more than likely end up throwing the thing in a fit of anger if I choose to try it. There’s only so much anyone can do at a price, my frequency of use will find those limits quite quickly.

Some folks have many outfits with actual use spread rather thinly across them, in this scenario it’s possible to save a lot of money on reels and even lines. The flyfishing market has diversified to serve every need that way, it’s kinda cool.

I'll pay more for strength, durability/smoothness over time, and (most expensively) lightness when it comes to reels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:59 pm • # 5 

Wherever that reel is from, it must be really cool, because the site advertises it as an "ice reel".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:00 pm • # 6 

Wherever that reel is from, it must be really cool, because the site advertises it as an "ice reel".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pm • # 7 

Speaking of reel prices, have those of you who spin fish and fly fish ever wondered at the relative price of fly reels vs. spinning reels of comparable quality? Especially in the context of number of moving parts and overall complexity? I have a suspicion as to the answer, but it reflects poorly on my gullibility, and I'm not sure I'm ready to face that.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:46 pm • # 8 

PampasPete wrote:

lol Chinese always put ice reel on fly reels they sell , I've even seen them as raft reels ! I guess they think Americans live in Iceland ! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:31 pm • # 9 

Thanks for posting, always like to look at inexpensive reels, since they play such a small part in my fly fishing, just holding the line, I buy cheap reels too; I apply drag with my hand if I need drag, even if the reel has a drag.

A good reason for my typically fishing with cheap reels: I fish close to home; if one breaks (which has never happened) I'm close to a replacement.

I have to comment: I was gifted what I consider an expensive reel, $130 (Kingfisher), and it's a joy to operate: smooth, light and so much tighter than my cheap reels. A functional difference is the mono running line won't get caught up in the crevices, it's machined very tight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:11 am • # 10 

JimRed , these reels are very tight and handle mono quite well . Give one a try and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you . I think you'll be quite delighted with the smoothness and machining .
The most expensive reel I have is the Maxcatch gear driven auto @ $139 . I will be using it as a streamer and nymph reel this year with a mono rig setup . I was hesitant to spend that much money on a reel but so far happy that I did . These are very smooth and machine quite nicely also .

Last edited by jangles on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:25 am • # 11 

knotjoe wrote:
jangles wrote:
How can I justify buying reels that cost many many times more , you tell me . ?

Perhaps you can’t justify paying more, much of this depends on how much you have in terms of tackle and how much you actually fish it.

For me, I don’t have hordes of tackle for spinning or fly. What I do have I fish the livin’ heck out of and paying a bit more is well worth it. Have gone on the cheaper side of things before and it simply doesn’t stand up to frequent or heavy use very well.

Now, you show me something dirt cheap and VERY simple in design, may raise my eyebrows a bit as to the potential. Once we start getting many parts and more complicated designs, I’ll more than likely end up throwing the thing in a fit of anger if I choose to try it. There’s only so much anyone can do at a price, my frequency of use will find those limits quite quickly.

Some folks have many outfits with actual use spread rather thinly across them, in this scenario it’s possible to save a lot of money on reels and even lines. The flyfishing market has diversified to serve every need that way, it’s kinda
cool.
I'll pay more for strength, durability/smoothness over time, and (most expensively) lightness when it comes to reels.
Thank you for your take on this . I use this stuff quite a lot and have tons of gear . If I have a failure I can throw it away and not miss it . I dropped one of my other cheap reel spools on concrete ($12) and bent it so I threw the spool away and now have a spare frame . I used to use these exclusively but have since switched to the Fairland as it is a much , much better reel .

See bent spool reel .

Just so you guys don't have to click on a link . I'm such a nice guy don't you think ? I'm also trying to keep this forum alive .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 am • # 12 

Hello, i own 3 reels like that but in plastic, they are cheaper, lighter and you can find them even in 5cm and 6cm diameter. I have the 6cm and are perfect for 1# and wf2# lines...and are ok :-) you can find them on ebay making a search "plastic Fly reel"
Zigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:28 am • # 13 

I was in Pulaski in October for Steelhead. At dinner one night with the guide I asked about the reels on Ebay for $20 or so and if he had tried them. He said, "you been using one for the last 3 days"!! I had no idea. It was very well made and worked perfectly. I was really impressed, except that Im really ticked off at China right now. Buy American if you can, or can find out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:55 pm • # 14 

I got this thing for under 20. It's the typical one way bearing that all those inexpensive reels use. Looks good and works well on the 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:07 am • # 15 

strummer wrote:

I got this thing for under 20. It's the typical one way bearing that all those inexpensive reels use. Looks good and works well on the 2

Inexpensive is good especially when they work ! :applause

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply