It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:46 am • # 1 

Here is a method I like for small lines.

1. Put end of fly line for 2 minutes into your wifes nail polish remover

2. Peel off cover of fly line with finger nails (should be brittle now)

3. Double the inside of the fly line and wrap tightly with fly tying thread, finish with a knot

4. Cover with a quick drying glue

Looks like this in the end
https://imgur.com/d7XwJma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 am • # 2 

A lot of lines today come with loops at the end(s). For those lines that don't I use the Castwell Knot. This is a simple sheet bend around a leader loop. I usually use this with furled leaders but have also used it with plain mono leaders. This makes a very small knot, smaller than the whipped loop at the end of a fly line. Most people look at this knot and think there is no way it will hold. If you pull it down tight as you finish the bend, it WILL NOT slip. This knot has been around a long time, but very few people seem to have heard of it. Just Google the Castwell Knot to find out more.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am • # 3 

I like that Castwell knot; I've never seen it before. I picked up some 12-foot leaders, for spooky trout in Wisconsin's Driftless Area, and these leaders have no loop (although my fly line does). I made a loop in the leader with a Perfection knot, but I like the Castwell knot better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:34 pm • # 4 

I whip finish a loop into the end of any fly line that doesn't come with one, using about an inch of tight thread wrap, and then cover with head cement. Hardly the most professional approach, but it uses materials at my desk, and has never failed.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:32 pm • # 5 

Needle knot here with super glue then about 6" down I put a 2mm tippet ring .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm • # 6 

My strange habit of using longish leaders indicates a need for a very small, smooth connection between line and leader butt. I've tried different types of loop-to-loop connections, but then I always relapse and go back to using a nail knot that gets smoothed out with epoxy or zap-a-gap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:51 am • # 7 

I want to like them, but I've had several failures where nail knotted leaders have stripped the fly line coating and come free. These days I have been making "Chinese fingertrap" style braided mono loops, which are probably 100% strength and double as a sighter since I only have the material in fire orange. What I really want is a way to strip the coating off the line and make a loop in the core, which should be both strong and very slim. But I haven't researched or played with that.

Edit: https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/welded-loops-on-fly-lines is what I'm interested in trying, at least for braided core lines.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 pm • # 8 

Looks like a nice way of doing it Dominikk85, not as clumsy as just looping the whole fly line and thus whould give a nicer cast; I am going to give it a try with one alteration: since my wife doesn't use nail polish (and hense no nail polish remover) I'll strip my coating from the core with mono-filiment. Saw that on a you tube video for attaching skagitt heads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 pm • # 9 

lka wrote:
I want to like them, but I've had several failures where nail knotted leaders have stripped the fly line coating and come free. These days I have been making "Chinese fingertrap" style braided mono loops, which are probably 100% strength and double as a sighter since I only have the material in fire orange. What I really want is a way to strip the coating off the line and make a loop in the core, which should be both strong and very slim. But I haven't researched or played with that.

Edit: https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/welded-loops-on-fly-lines is what I'm interested in trying, at least for braided core lines.

I think that is what dominikk85 is doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:31 pm • # 10 

JimRed wrote:
I think that is what dominikk85 is doing.

Indeed it is, or at least pretty darn close!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 pm • # 11 

My method was similar but I was just doubling it and then wrapping and not pulling it through with a needle. Their method is probably better and stronger than mine but for UL it is plenty strong enough.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:34 am • # 12 

I like the Perfection Loop, but you have to be careful not to make the loop too big.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 am • # 13 

I have been using a simple superglue splice (here) on a couple of lines so far this season with no issues. I was initially very skeptical of its strength but it has held up without issue. In theory not all of the strength in a fly line is from the core, the coating does contribute 20-30% so it probably isn't as strong as a needle knot but it sure is slimmer.

I just used dollar store superglue like I do for everything else and it worked fine, so don't fret about needing Zap-a-gap or some special magic superglue.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 am • # 14 

Ive welded loops using a heat gun and clear shrink tubing. Kinda like https://vimeo.com/117008675 but with a regular heat gun. I see people are using hair straighteners to form the welds now https://youtu.be/0kVY2xM8Xs8

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:18 am • # 15 

Enjoyed all of these ideas. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:58 am • # 16 

I've been using this connection since 2012.

You pull the leader through the fly line and melt the butt end of the leader into a ball so it doesn't slip.
Great tool for this job is Tiemco Leader Splicer but a thin sewing needle with a hole inside the tip will do fine also.

It casts and lands on the water beautifully, it never stuck on guides when you're pulling fish and changing the leader is fairly easy, I just cut the ball with nippers, remove the old one and pull the new leader through the fly line.

If done properly it's a very reliable connection that will not move with a nice fish or when you want to snag off nymph from the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:24 pm • # 17 

jangles wrote:
Needle knot here with super glue then about 6" down I put a 2mm tippet ring .

After fishing tippet rings for a year, I gave them up because the leader broke off more often that when using a knot.
My reasoning for this is that the leader to tippet connection is abrasive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:26 pm • # 18 

Dominikk85 wrote:

3. Double the inside of the fly line and wrap tightly with fly tying thread, finish with a knot

An alternative to using the nail polish, use monofiliment. Tie a loop with the mono around the fly line and pull down and this will strip the fly line from the core.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 pm • # 19 

Dominikk85 wrote:

Interesting. No issue of it. Breaking or undoing after time

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply