It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: 1 wt arrived!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 am • # 21 

Free2Fish wrote:

Must say it cast reasonably well in perfect conditions of no wind and after a few beers. It will remain a 1 wt rod with a 1 wt line for now, or at least till the beer runs out.
Harry

:lol :applause That's great! I may have to order up a 1wt line just to save for a windless, perfect, inibriated day.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:56 am • # 22 

Free2Fish wrote:
I seem to be able to post again!

Maxcatch seems to be aware that this rod requires a 2 wt line since they added one to my order when I received the 1wt. But I wanted a 1 wt and being more stubborn than average, I spooled up the 1 weight line on my reel. Must say it cast reasonably well in perfect conditions of no wind and after a few beers. It will remain a 1 wt rod with a 1 wt line for now, or at least till the beer runs out.

Harry

Seems reasonable. Beer of course is an excellent social lubricant, so therefore after imbibing several, one should be lubricated sufficiently that the casting motion is flowing smoothly (no matter the line weight).

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:08 pm • # 23 

If you want to stick with a 1wt for that rod consider Barrio Small Stream .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 pm • # 24 

I agree with the recommendation for the Small Stream line. Although it is not actually a true 1 weight, probably closer to 1.5 According to AFFTA standards a 1` weight line weighs 60 grains in the first 30 feet of line. The range of error for a 1 weight is 54 to 66 grains. The Small Stream line is specifically designed to aid in loading the rod for short casts, so it weighs 60 grains for the first 24 feet. The only other 1 weight line I own is the Orvis Superfine WF1 which is also approximately 1.5 weight. In casting either of these lines on my 1 weight rod, I find the Barrio line holds a slight edge over the Orvis in castability. I am in no way connected with Barrio Lines, but I offer no apology for my respect for his designs in line tapers and in keeping the costs down. That Barrio line cost me about $39 compared to $69 for the Orvis line, and the Barrio line was not discounted.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:48 am • # 25 

I'm using the 1 wt small stream line with it. The line is more like a 1.5 wt or so and up to 40 feet or so it casts decently and that is all I want from my 1 wt. Above 40 ft casting is not so comfortable anymore but then again if I have to cast farther I will use my 3wt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:37 pm • # 26 

Thanks for the tip on the Barrio Small Stream, I may consider it but will probably stay with what I've got. This rod will likely always just be a novelty since most of the streams I fish contain larger pike, channel cats and carp. I almost lost the flyline when a pike grabbed a goldeye I was trying to net and took a run for it.

Here are some interesting CCS test results on my two lightest fly rods.

Cabelas CGR 6’ 2” 2 wt
ERN = 1.2 (odd, but checked several times) AA=62deg

Maxcatch 6’ 1 wt
ERN=1.92. AA=63deg

Harry

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply