It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 1 wt arrived!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:14 pm • # 1 

My 1wt 6 foot maxcatch arrived yesterday. Loaded it up with my Maxcatch 2wt line (as recommended here) spooled on an Ant-King 2/3 reel, and took it out front to give it a try. Sub-freezing temps and a nice deep snow cover kept my casting to a minimum, but I can happily report that it easily and acccurately will toss 50 feet of line. I'm pretty sure with warm weather and a minimum of practise, it will easily manage 60ft, which will be more than enough for where/how I plan to use it. By quick calculation, I've got about $61. 50 US tied up in this outfit (rod/reel/line). Sure hope I can get my money's worth out of it. :lol :lol
brent

Post subject: Re: 1 wt arrived!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:18 pm • # 2 

Very cool , glad you like it I love mine .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 pm • # 3 

jangles wrote:

When have you ever steered me wrong? :lol
My plan is to mostly use it across the road on my 'home stream', where I encounter little brookies, yellow perch, sunfish, small smallies, some fallfish to about 14", and such, but my one worry is that I do occasionally latch onto a big bass (biggest I've landed there was 20+") and although I have managed to subdue them up to about 18" on my 3wt, it was quite a ride, and I'm not sure how the 1wt will do. And there was no room for backing on my reel. Granted, the larger bass usually take flies a lot bigger than I can comfortably cast with a 1wt, but I have taken a few large bass that gobbled up #16 and #14 flies. I'm not complaining, just a bit worried. Break 'em off, I guess.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:30 pm • # 4 

wheezeburnt wrote:
jangles wrote:

When have you ever steered me wrong? :lol
My plan is to mostly use it across the road on my 'home stream', where I encounter little brookies, yellow perch, sunfish, small smallies, some fallfish to about 14", and such, but my one worry is that I do occasionally latch onto a big bass (biggest I've landed there was 20+") and although I have managed to subdue them up to about 18" on my 3wt, it was quite a ride, and I'm not sure how the 1wt will do. And there was no room for backing on my reel. Granted, the larger bass usually take flies a lot bigger than I can comfortably cast with a 1wt, but I have taken a few large bass that gobbled up #16 and #14 flies. I'm not complaining, just a bit worried. Break 'em off, I guess.
brent

Put em on the reel , it should handle it .
A couple weeks ago I bought a practice fly rod from echo and now I'm thinking about making a reel seat on it and using it on small streams . It's 4' and very tiny .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:18 am • # 5 

Hah. I'd buy a ticket to watch that!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:48 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Congratulations Brent!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:30 pm • # 7 

keebranch wrote:
Congratulations Brent!

Thanks, bud. Now I'm busy tying up a bunch of 22/24 chironomids and such. Want to be prepared.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:10 pm • # 8 

The maxcatch 1 wt reel is really small. I neded to gut cut off the last 10
15 feet or so (from the backing end) to get it on the reel well with a few yards of backing. Since I usually cast less than 50 feet it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:31 pm • # 9 

Dominikk85 wrote:
The maxcatch 1 wt reel is really small. I neded to gut cut off the last 10
15 feet or so (from the backing end) to get it on the reel well with a few yards of backing. Since I usually cast less than 50 feet it doesn't really matter.

Had the same issue with my AntKing reel. Pretty sure I lopped off 15', but its just the flyline on there; no backing.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 am • # 10 

If Roble can handle bonefish and snook with that arrangement, you should be able to handle a bass. But then, Roble got a fiberglass rod, and it sounds like you didn't. Either way, it looks like you're fixin' to have some serious fun with that outfit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:07 am • # 11 

Del Gue wrote:
... it looks like you're fixin' to have some serious fun with that outfit.

"serious fun"! Yep, that sums it up perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:33 pm • # 12 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Del Gue wrote:
... it looks like you're fixin' to have some serious fun with that outfit.

"serious fun"! Yep, that sums it up perfectly.

Here is a tip. Sometimes the real seat will come loose. To fix that pull two tight fitting rubber rings over (i think i used 15mm o-rings from hardware store). This will make it fit tighter.

See photo
https://imgur.com/a/3co1Vks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 pm • # 13 

Hmm, that's a great tip. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:09 pm • # 14 

Brent,
There has been some discussion as to whether that Maxcatch 1-weight will work better with a 1- or 2-weight line. The consensus seems to indicate a 2-weight. Now that the rod has arrived and you probably have a few days left before ice-out, perhaps you could do a quick CCS test and see why your rod may do better with a 2-weight line.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:08 pm • # 15 

Good plan, Pete. I did load it with a 2wt line, and I can very comfortably get 50+ feet out of it, even casting with a parka and mitts on. Hard to judge the roll cast capabilities, though, since the snow drifts don't really load the rod that well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:44 pm • # 16 

OK, with the help of Canoeman Larry: US pennies weigh about 2.5 g. each. Set up the rod, and it took 50 grams to draw it down to 22" from floor (72" rod, divided by 3 = 24" deflection, rod at 46" above floor). 50 grams divided by 2.5 grams = 20 pennies, which the rosetta stone says is a 2 wt rod. So it all makes sense that it casts so nicely with a 2 wt line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm • # 17 

At the time Dr. Hanneman came up with the Common Cents System, all pennies weighed 2.5 grams or 38.6 grains. Since 2010 all currently minted pennies weigh 3.11 grams or 47.99 grains. So when using the CCS to determine optimal line weight, you should be aware of which pennies are being used.

Larry

P.S. - depending on the source of information. According to US Mint, the Union Shield penny weigh 2.5 grams, but according to CoinTrackers it weighs 3.11 grams. I guess the only weigh to be sure is to use an accurate scale to weigh each type of penny.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:01 pm • # 18 

I was trying to remember the exact gram weight of US pennies but that number didn’t immediately come to mind. 2.5 grams seemed right. To check that I took 10 pennies from my penny stash (which a friend of mine got for me on a trip to the States) and weighed them on my electronic scale. They weighed in at 25.1 grams, so yes, 2.5 grams per penny is correct.

Regarding which pennies to use, we have this information: “Common U.S. cents are minted by the billions to very tight specifications. Those dated after 1996 have an average weight of 38.61 grains and their use gives rise to the name of this approach.” So it seems we should use pennies minted after 1996 and before 2010.

The PDF of the CCS says this. “Using the Common Cents System, you can objectively measure the IP of any fly rod. For example, to determine the IP of a 9 ft. (108 in.) rod, secure it in a horizontal position on a shelf about five feet high and measure the height of the horizontal butt section just ahead of the grip (e.g., 64”). Then, attach a lightweight plastic bag to the tip top and add one cent pieces (minted after 1996) until the tip is deflected one third of its length (i.e., 36”) downward to a point 28” above the floor. Count the number of one cent pieces (e.g., 44). This represents the rod’s IP measured in common cents.”

Also from the same PDF, the part of the Rosetta Stone, the equivalent of 20 cents is 20/1.92, so the ERN should be 1.92. That means the rod in question could be called a 1-weight, but just barely. It also explains why the given rod works well with a 2-weight line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:29 pm • # 19 

wheezeburnt wrote:
OK, with the help of Canoeman Larry: US pennies weigh about 2.5 g. each. Set up the rod, and it took 50 grams to draw it down to 22" from floor (72" rod, divided by 3 = 24" deflection, rod at 46" above floor). 50 grams divided by 2.5 grams = 20 pennies, which the rosetta stone says is a 2 wt rod. So it all makes sense that it casts so nicely with a 2 wt line.

you are welcome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:03 am • # 20 

I seem to be able to post again!

Maxcatch seems to be aware that this rod requires a 2 wt line since they added one to my order when I received the 1wt. But I wanted a 1 wt and being more stubborn than average, I spooled up the 1 weight line on my reel. Must say it cast reasonably well in perfect conditions of no wind and after a few beers. It will remain a 1 wt rod with a 1 wt line for now, or at least till the beer runs out.

Harry

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply