It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:25 pm • # 1 

In mid-March I ordered a 2 7/8" Hardy Perfect. This reel is for 2/3/4 weight lines. For years I had lusted after either a Bougle' or a Perfect. When I received a decent tax refund this year I decided before I get too old to fish anymore, I just had to have that Perfect. I immediately disassembled it and applied oil and grease as described in the accompanying pamphlet. The first day I fished with it I had no problems. The second day however, I got a little fine sand in the reel. A couple of days later I prepared to clean the reel only to discover the retention screw that holds the spool in place was missing. When I first reassembled the reel after lubing it, I was careful to ensure the retention screw was fully seated. A Google search reveals this is not a really uncommon occurrence with the so-called Perfect reel, but is apparently a flaw in the basic design. I ordered a new retention screw from the Hardy Service Center in Iowa and received the screw today. I applied a drop of Vibratite to hopefully prevent the screw from spinning itself loose again, only to find out the screw would only go into the spindle about a turn and a half before it started binding. I was careful to turn the screw in the proper direction. The reel is now boxed up along with a warrantly claim form for shipping to the Service Center in the morning. I have a lot of reels, but this "Perfect" , by far my most expensive reel, is so far the most troublesome.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:24 am • # 2 

Yikes. Hope the warranty service fixes the problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am • # 3 

Are you telling us that the famous Hardy Perfect is in fact a Hardly Perfect reel?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:04 pm • # 4 

Pete, I'm sorry to say that, at least for now, I am leaning in that direction.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply