It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: furling leaders
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm • # 1 

I've always drooled over those nice, tapered furled leaders folks made but was reluctant to build the required jig which was way too big. So I twisted leaders instead but never really liked them that much. Anyway, fast forward to a couple of days ago, and I discovered this website that describes how to furl leaders using braided line without building a small bowling alley in your basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EpADCoT2w4

I spent two days furling leaders with different diameters of braid from 30# test down to 15# test, the thinnest I had. These leaders were good for most of my fly rods, from 8 wt down to 2 wt and even my tenkara rod, but were a bit heavy for my 1 wt that uses a 1 wt line. For this rod I tried using 200 denier G.S.P. thread (pictured above) and it seems to work perfectly, although a touch more difficult to work with. None have been wet tested but worked admirably in the flick-of-the-wrist basement test.

Definitely worth a try if you think you might like tapered furled leaders.

Harry

Post subject: Re: furling leaders
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm • # 2 

Thanks for sharing. I haven't made it all the way through the video, yet, but intend on finishing it later tonight. Looks like fun!

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply