It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:27 pm • # 1 

I want to find a true 3 weight or less vintage fiberglass fly rod. I have been searching the web for info but have not found any useful information.
So, can any forum member recommend a rod or two that fits what I am looking for?
Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:52 pm • # 2 

Trying to find a "true" ultralight fly rod in vintage glass can be difficult. Only a very few of the vintage glass rods were built at less than a 5 weight. However, glass is a very forgiving material, and many rods will work pretty well with a range of 3 to 4 line weights. I don't know of any glass rods that were rated for less than 3 weight, and I can only recall one that was designated as a 3/4 weight, and that was the Vince Cummings Ultimate, a 6'8" rod. The Ultimate was built on the St. Croix Imperial Ultralight blank which was also 6'8" in length but was rated for 5/6 weight line. Cummings would take the stock blank and lightly sand the blank in various spots along its length to obtain the action he wanted, which meant with thinner walls he had a softer lighter action. A friend of mine has the St. Croix Ultralight, and although it is rated for heavier lines, it will cast a 3 weight line pretty smoothly. I also have a Horrocks-Ibbotson Model 1200 Queen Elizabeth rod built in 1953 that is 6'9" in length. A line rating is not given, but it was probably designed for what would be considered a 5 weight line today. However, I have used it mostly with a 3 weight line, and it has worked quite well with that line weight, though would probably be more full flexing with DT4 or 5. My Vince Cummings Ultimate was broken by a previous owner and repaired by Chris Barclay, and it will cast a DT2, but is better with a 3.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 am • # 3 
Administrator

Larry nailed it, especially on the Queen Elizabeth rod- that one will throw 3WT line well.

When you say vintage what years would you consider? Vintage 1970's or other decades?
You can on occasion find some interesting UL glass in the 1970-1980 years. My six piece brushy creek by lamiglass was originally designed in eighties but the final run was in mid 2000.
You might want to broaden your search past the vintage 1940-1960 period and you'll find some fun options.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:01 am • # 4 

Larry and Les,

Thanks to both of you for the replies to my inquiry.

As far as vintage, I was thinking post WWII. Say late 40’s to 1950. I have a 6 1/2’ St Croix that is an unfinished Mahogany hued blank that fishes a 5 wt very well and not having seen a vintage ‘glass one got me looking.

I will continue the hunt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:29 pm • # 5 
Administrator

You'll need to be creative- some of the earlier rods like a Fenwick 535's can carry a 3WT line but are labeled 5WT - but short 5'3"
FF 605 six footer can carry 3/4 weight lines too rated for 5WT lines.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 pm • # 6 

If you trying to find an ultralight glass rod built from 1947 to 1950 you are pretty much out of luck. My H-I Queen Elizabeth is the first rod I have heard of that was described by the manufacturer as an ultralight and it was built in 1953. Most of the early rods were designed for lines that we would grade as 7 to 8 weight today. The other rods that I mentioned in my first post were built in the 1960's.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm • # 7 

You could look for a Winston Stalker fiberglass fly rod from the mid-70s. They were apparently made in a 6 1/2 foot 3-weight.
Nowadays that would be considered a vintage ‘glass fly rod.
Did Orvis also make ‘glass UL fly rods in the early ‘80s?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:38 pm • # 8 

The 6' 6" Winston Stalker was rated as a 2/3 weight rod, and I believe this was the first factory rod to be designed for lines that light. These rods were built to Tom Morgan's specifications by the Fisher rod company who built blanks for quite a few companies at that time. Incidentally, Fisher also came out with a series of rods that essentially copied the Winstons, although I don't know for sure if the tapers were the same. Either of these rods would be difficult to find, and if in good shape, would certainy be quite expensive. The lightest glass rod built by Orvis was the 6' 6" Golden Eagle 4 weight which came out in 1976. Orvis was pretty much out of the glass rod market by 1978.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 pm • # 9 

Regarding those Winston Stalker rods, another look at a 1975 Fly Fisherman magazine ad shows that the 3-weights were made in 6 ½ , 7, 7 ½ and 8 foot lengths. But really, they would probably be quite expensive if located.

When fiberglass fly rods were first introduced the nylon / PVC / enamel lines were also quite new. Even in the 70’s it was quite difficult to find a line that was less than a 5-weight, although if you really looked you might find a 4-weight. So from a marketing viewpoint, why would a manufacturer mark a rod as lighter than a 5-weight even if it really was? Les has already mentioned that Fenwick 535 and 605 rods were possibly 3-weights in reality.

Laguna Lake, do you know about the Common Cents System for measuring rods? If not, it may be worth your while to become familiarized with it, for it will tell you the ERN (effective rod number) which translates directly into the ELN (effective line number). You could then find some of the slower or softer feeling vintage fiberglass 5-weights and measure them with the CCS method. In that way you may discover some surprising old rods that are really 3-weights.

I was recently surprised to find out that from about 1885 until about 1925 H.L. Leonard and others were making split-bamboo fly rods that would today be considered 2-weights or lighter. And we tend to think of UL fly-fishing as a modern phenomenon.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply