It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:13 pm • # 1 

Over the years, rod manufacturers have gone from 2 piece rods to 3,4,5+ piece rods. As manufacturers have better materials and technology, it seems they should be able to add those extra joints in a rod without compromising performance. I have many rods in the 3-6 piece configuration and believe they cast well. However, I occasionally pick up one of my older 2 piece rods and always seem shocked at how much better I think they feel. Maybe it’s the rod itself, maybe I’m delusional. Maybe the older rods just make me feel better out of nostalgia. Does anyone else have an opinion on the matter? It seems that in the ever changing world of equipment it’s inevitable that eventually telescopic rods will be commonplace. In my opinion, I’d like to try the opposite. Spinning and casting rods are built to 7’ as one piece rods. Since ultralight fly rods are often shorter, I’d love to try a sub 7’ one or two weight one piece rod. Anyone know of such?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:40 pm • # 2 

The only 1 piece fly rod I have known is the Cablea Prime, which they discontinued last year.
I have their 7 ' 4wt but they made others that were less than 7'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:15 pm • # 3 

I had a WW Griggs 6' 3wt 2 pc that I really liked til an Idaho Cutthroat broke it . I tried to get another but it's out of stock .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:28 pm • # 4 

My only one-piece is not an ultralight, but it's my best rod and I use it more than any other. It's an 8'10" Hardy Zenith 4-weight. The action simply feels different than any other rod I've cast It seems to have less lateral movement during the cast than my multi-piece rods and also less wobbling on the rebound - sort of like how an old car bounces up and down on old shocks, but on new ones, it simply returns to its regular height. It is a PITA to transport, however.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:43 pm • # 5 

weiliwen wrote:
My only one-piece is not an ultralight, but it's my best rod and I use it more than any other. It's an 8'10" Hardy Zenith 4-weight. The action simply feels different than any other rod I've cast It seems to have less lateral movement during the cast than my multi-piece rods and also less wobbling on the rebound - sort of like how an old car bounces up and down on old shocks, but on new ones, it simply returns to its regular height. It is a PITA to transport, however.

What did you do with that 2wt ? Is it any good ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:18 pm • # 6 

If one really wanted a one-piece rod for lines below a 1- or 2-weight, there are a couple ways to go about it. Many blanks are cut for installing spigot ferrules after they are made. So why not contact the makers of those blanks and try to get one that has not yet been cut? Of course, with the pandemic right now the shipping and logistics could get costly and complicated.

It would also be possible to contact a competent bamboo rod maker and have one made to order. One that comes to mind is the Leonard Baby Catskill taper, a 6-footer from around 1900 that was made for the equivalent of a 0- or 1-weight line.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply