It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Maxcatch vs CGR 2wt?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 pm • # 1 

Good evening. I’m looking for a 2wt rod for Bluegill and Crappie. I mostly fish a few small lakes near me. A also fish from a kayak. I’m on a budget so I have narrowed it down to the Maxcatch 6’ 2 wt and the Cabelas CGR 6’2” 2wt.
I know they are two totally different animals one being graphite and one being glass. Any thoughts or experiences with either rod would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Todd

Post subject: Re: Maxcatch vs CGR 2wt?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 pm • # 2 

I have cast a couple of the ultralight Maxcatch rods but have never fished one. I have the Cabela's CGR 2 weight and love it. I have other 2 weights, most of which are far more expensive, but none of the others are any more fun to use than the CGR. It is, of course, a much slower action than the Maxcatch, but that is what I love about it. The vast majority of my fishing is with glass rods, and I think the CGR is perfect for small streams and is a true 2 weight rod, which may not be true with the Maxcatch graphite. Heck, as either of them is quite inexpensive, just get both of them and settle the matter for yourself.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the reply Larry. Are you using 2wt line or 3wt line? I know a lot of people like to go up 1 line wt. Thanks, Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 pm • # 4 

I haven't used that particular Maxcatch, but I'd betcha it is on the fast side and more of a 3wt. The CGR will be lot slower, and probably a true 2wt.

Unless you really do want a short rod, I might also urge you to consider a different Maxcatch, the 7'6" "Airlite Fly 2wt". I have owned that rod for a few years, it is my only 2wt. It is a ridiculous bargain and a great caster. I fish that with a 2wt line, and it will throw a tight loop even into a pretty stiff headwind. I bought it for $50 shipped a couple years ago. It's currently $68 shipped on everybody's favorite auction site but if you don't mind waiting on the shipping from the far east you can get it quite a bit cheaper direct from Maxcatch's site. Look for a coupon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:54 pm • # 5 

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the 7’6” 2wt. That might be even better for fishing out of my kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 am • # 6 

I have the Maxcatch 1wt 6' rod, and it tests out as a 2wt, and casts well with a 2 wt line, so if you genuinely want a 2 wt, I'd get the 1 wt. I expect the 2wt would test out as a 3wt.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 am • # 7 

I use a WF2 on the CGR. Actually, it is more of a 2.5 weight, as I usually use a Barrio Small Stream WF2 or a Scientific Anglers GPX WF2, both of which are approximately 1/2 line weight heavy. The slightly heavier heads allow for quicker loading of the rod at short ranges.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 am • # 8 

Some extra rod length is nice out of a kayak, for a bunch of reasons.

I love fiberglass, fish it a lot, and have a bunch of classic glass rods...but I don't tend to use UL glass rods much. I just find them too limiting for the conditions I want to successfully fish in. I'm usually on a lake, there is always a 10mph breeze, I always want to throw a #10 streamer, and the big fishy spot is always 40' away :)

Larry -- sadly I think the new normal is that all lines are at least a half weight heavy. I bought a SA 7wt intermediate to use on one of my old 7wt Fenwicks a while back and was wondering why it overloaded the rod so much...it weighed out just shy of a 10 weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:34 pm • # 9 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I use a WF2 on the CGR. Actually, it is more of a 2.5 weight, as I usually use a Barrio Small Stream WF2 or a Scientific Anglers GPX WF2, both of which are approximately 1/2 line weight heavy. The slightly heavier heads allow for quicker loading of the rod at short ranges.

Larry

Do you get decent casting distance? 30-40’?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 pm • # 10 

I’m also looking at the Redington CT 7’6” 2wt. Although more expensive than the other two rods, I have a Redington 9 for 9 and a 9 for 6. They are both great rods. Redington also has a very good warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 pm • # 11 

I have the CGR and it's a fun rod for small streams but I wouldn't want to fish it from a kayak. 7'6" is the shortest I'd want to use from that platform in any weight. Also in lakes the gills tend to be much bigger than in small streams so you might have just as much fun but have more rod options with a 3 wt. I'll often use my 9'6" CZN from the yak. The extra length helps keep the line off the water while casting from a sitting position.

Last edited by Knotty on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:33 pm • # 12 

I have no difficulty with a 30-40 foot cast with any of my 2 weights, but as I am usually fishing small streams, there is very little occasion for casts that long. Honestly, I probably wouldn't use my CGR 2 weight on a pond or small lake. I would prefer a 7'6" 3 to 4 weight for that type of fishing. Of course if I were targeting larger fish like bass or carp, I would prefer a 6 weight or 7 weight. While I could probably eventually land a larger fish on ultralight, I just don't like to work that hard. Color me old and lazy.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:12 pm • # 13 

Knotty wrote:
I have the CGR and it's a fun rod for small streams but I wouldn't want to fish it from a kayak. 7'6" is the shortest I'd want to use from that platform in any weight. Also in lakes the gills tend to be much bigger than in small streams so you might have just as much fun but have more rod options with a 3 wt. I'll often use my 9'6" CZN from the yak. The extra length helps keep the line off the water while casting from a sitting position.

Similarly I use a 10' rod a lot when fishing big water from a boat. The extra length is nice for playing fish around the boat, as is the marked improvement in casting distance when I'm doing a lot of what amounts of blind casting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:14 am • # 14 

buy the redington ct in the 2 weight or 3 weight and you will never look back.
The CT is a great rod.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:19 am • # 15 

I own a CGR 2wt., a Redington CT 2 wt and a Maxcatch 1 wt. Of the 3, the Redington CT is my overall favorite. It has a slower feel than most graphites and will handle a larger fish than the other two. I should add I also like the other two rods but feel they are better suited for smaller streams and fish.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:51 am • # 16 

Free2Fish wrote:
I own a CGR 2wt., a Redington CT 2 wt and a Maxcatch 1 wt. Of the 3, the Redington CT is my overall favorite. It has a slower feel than most graphites and will handle a larger fish than the other two. I should add I also like the other two rods but feel they are better suited for smaller streams and fish.

Harry

Thanks Harry.

How is the CT for throwing appropriate size streamers or buggers? I fish mostly for panfish and crappie.
Todd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 pm • # 17 

Hi Todd, absolutely no issue with throwing appropriately sized streamers with a Redington CT 2wt.
Having said that, I wouldn’t hesitate to fish for crappie or bluegills with either of the other two rods I mentioned. Unless of course you’re fishing near cover and have to keep them out of it.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:33 pm • # 18 

Thanks Harry. That’s the answer I was hoping to hear!
Todd

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply