It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2wt or 3wt???
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 am • # 1 

Good morning,

I’ve spent quite a few hours on this board and others doing searches. I’m not sure what size rod would best suit my needs. I do 99% of my fishing in ponds and lakes. I also fish out of a sit down kayak. I mostly target crappie and bluegill. Obviously the occasional bass makes a appearance. The heaviest thing I throw is a size 10 or 12 bead chain clousers or bead head wooly buggers.
From what I’ve been able to gather from my searches is I should have a rod at least 7’ or longer for kayak fishing. I don’t have a ton of money so I’m looking hard at the Maxcatch rods. I do have a couple of Redington rods but I would have to find a used one for my budget.
So based on my situation should I go with a 2wt or 3wt? Thank your in advance for you input and advice.
Todd

Post subject: Re: 2wt or 3wt???
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:03 pm • # 2 

An interesting thing to consider is whether you already have any 4- or 5-weight rods. A 3-weight is obviously quite like a 4-weight, and if you already own one of those a 2-weight might prove different enough to be desirable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:49 pm • # 3 

Looks like this is a continuation of your post about 2 wt CGR vs Maxcatch.

https://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12634&p=100356#p100356

From a kayak, rod length matters, so I'll stick with my recommendation that you look at 3 weights. Don't own any Maxcatch rods but have seen many good reports. Find a 7'6" or longer 3 wt and pull the trigger. Not trying to be too cavalier but from personal experience I know how entering a new activity on a limited budget can get you trapped in analysis paralysis. Especially in the fly fishing world where people can get hyper particular. You won't know what you like in advance, so you just have to take a leap of faith, buoyed by the knowledge that even inexpensive rods today can exceed the performance of mid to high end rods a few decades back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:02 pm • # 4 

Knotty wrote:
Looks like this is a continuation of your post about 2 wt CGR vs Maxcatch.

https://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12634&p=100356#p100356

From a kayak, rod length matters, so I'll stick with my recommendation that you look at 3 weights. Don't own any Maxcatch rods but have seen many good reports. Find a 7'6" or longer 3 wt and pull the trigger. Not trying to be too cavalier but from personal experience I know how entering a new activity on a limited budget can get you trapped in analysis paralysis. Especially in the fly fishing world where people can get hyper particular. You won't know what you like in advance, so you just have to take a leap of faith, buoyed by the knowledge that even inexpensive rods today can exceed the performance of mid to high end rods a few decades back.

Thank you very much for you insight. I do currently have 2 rods. A 9’ 6wt and a 9’ 9wt. Both Redingtons. The 6wt isn’t a whole lot of fun for panfish. That’s the main reason I want to go with a lighter rod.
BTW, where in Jersey are you from? I grew up in North Jersey.
Regards, Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:59 pm • # 5 

Todd, I'm in northern NJ. Morris County.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:48 am • # 6 

I grew up in Bergen County. Wyckoff.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply