It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: TFO 1/2 weight
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:27 pm • # 1 

Greetings all,
I'm looking for real world opinion and experience with the TFO 5' 1/2 weight rod. For those who have it, have you measured the weight (common cents) and if so, is it actually lighter than a 1 weight? What line do you use? How does it perform? I'm intrigued and interested in buying one but of course no shop near me has one to look at. I read Bill Byrd's review and he didn't like it at all. He sort of said it's a poor excuse for a two weight.

Post subject: Re: TFO 1/2 weight
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:22 am • # 2 

You may find this thread interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=10682

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 pm • # 3 

A friend of mine has one he has been using for a few years and he uses a WF2 line. He has tried a WF1, but feels the 2 weight works better on this rod.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 am • # 4 

That’s what I’ve heard and was afraid of. I already have several 2wts, and a 1wt that actually measures a 2. iWorks anted to try something lighter, and I think the Sage 000 is the only thing lighter than 1.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 pm • # 5 

If you want something true to line weight, check out graywolfrods.com. In custom rods he makes a 5'7" 0 weight in 3 pieces. He also makes a 6'6" 3 piece 1 weight. These rods are made from E-glass blanks built by Benno Bron in the Netherlands. Not cheap, these rods start at $455, which is probably considerably cheaper than the Sage.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm • # 6 

Who knows? This might be a simple case of misinterpretation. For example, once I needed a new line-holder (oops, I mean fly reel!) so I went to Wally World. They had a South Bend reel and there was even a 6 ½’ rod in the package and it was marked as a 4 / 5 weight. It seemed to me that didn’t mean a four-fifths weight, but a 4- or 5-weight. That proved to be correct. So in the case of TFO, perhaps they really meant it as a 1- or 2-weight rod but people thought it meant half-weight.

At any rate, RDP offers 0-weight carbon fiber rods in lengths of 5’8” or 7’6”. My understanding is that the 5’8” rod is more likely a true 0-weight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:08 am • # 7 

That RDP 0 wt is the same blank for either length, for the 5'8" the butt section is just left off, making it a 3pc instead of a 4pc 7'6" blank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm • # 8 

PampasPete wrote:
Who knows? This might be a simple case of misinterpretation. For example, once I needed a new line-holder (oops, I mean fly reel!) so I went to Wally World. They had a South Bend reel and there was even a 6 ½’ rod in the package and it was marked as a 4 / 5 weight. It seemed to me that didn’t mean a four-fifths weight, but a 4- or 5-weight. That proved to be correct. So in the case of TFO, perhaps they really meant it as a 1- or 2-weight rod but people thought it meant half-weight.

At any rate, RDP offers 0-weight carbon fiber rods in lengths of 5’8” or 7’6”. My understanding is that the 5’8” rod is more likely a true 0-weight.

That’s was my thought at first, so I checked the TFO site and they clarify with their listing of 0.5wt. The check of their site led to another question though, that maybe someone knows the answer to... the 0.5wt is listed with both the TFO Finesse Trout and the TFO Finesse Glass. I understood that it was carbon. Anyone know which, or if there might be two different rods?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm • # 9 

Disregard the glass/carbon question. TFO has changed their site and no longer list it with glass.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply