It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sinking line.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:22 am • # 1 

I am looking to make a micro sized Galloup style set up with a 3wt. I am looking for a full sinking line or sink tip for this rod anyone have any ideas? Also does anyone have an idea for a rod to be short enough to jerk strip on foot?

Post subject: Re: Sinking line.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:53 pm • # 2 

You can do a decent job making a shooting head out of the back taper and some of the running line of a full sink line 2 or 3 line weights heavier than your rod. I'd use a cheap Chinese full sink line so you don't feel bad about cutting it up. The Teeny BS100 might be a decent pre-made option but I'm not sure if it is still available.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:41 am • # 3 

Zeke1987 wrote:
Also does anyone have an idea for a rod to be short enough to jerk strip on foot?

Not sure I'd go short on the rod, it could be difficult to pick up/lay down that kind of line for frequent casting. The longer lever and rod stroke would be much more practical. You'd also likely get a bit more backbone in the butt section of a longer rod, whereas short, light rods have near nothing there to work with.

Could work the way you describe doing it, but it'd be a tough balance to achieve and be very limiting on just how heavy of a sink tip you could use.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:24 pm • # 4 

Zeke, when you say that you’re thinking of “a micro sized Galloup style set up with a 3wt”, it would be nice if you could expound on that. It seems to me like you’re talking about fishing some pretty small articulated streamers, right?

One limiting factor for ultralight fly-fishing is the lack of commercially made sinking lines below a 4-weight. A while back I bought a fast-sinking Chinese 4-weight WF line with the idea in mind to make a shooting head for a 3-weight. But with the pandemic and our southern hemisphere winter, that hasn’t been a priority lately. Another thing you could consider is the running line from a heavier sinking WF line. They’re level, which isn’t such a bad thing for using big streamers. But when you mention “a rod to be short enough to jerk strip on foot”, I don’t quite understand what you mean.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply