It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Going lighter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:04 pm • # 1 

This season I took a step into UL fly fishing with a Redington butterstick 2 7’ 3wt and I absolutely love the rod 10/10, however it has got me wondering what if I went even lighter? For my casting style the 3wt butterstick seems pretty true to the line rating, I’ve been running rio technical trout WF3F and I like it a lot. I mostly fish for natives in the smokies so small trout is about all I catch. Like several others I have been looking at the classic trout 2wt and the TFO finesse trout 1wt. I am aware there is a 1wt butterstick but it’s a little shorter than I would like at a whopping 5’9”. There has been some discussion on the aforementioned rods but they have left me with several questions. Basically what I got from the reviews of both of these rods are that they are under labeled and are at least one weight heavier than stated and in the case of the CT some think even more. will either of these rods over lined actually be much lighter than the rod I already have? Will I need to stick with fiberglass to really get the bend and feel with such small fish? Those with experience with these rods please chime in. I’d like to go lighter but it’s a little confusing when everything isn’t actually what it is labeled as.

Post subject: Re: Going lighter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:46 am • # 2 

Look in to James Green's Native series. I have a 7'6" 1wt and it's DEFINITELY no more than a 1 wt. A 7'4" 2wt Heritage rod is another one that flexes all the way to my elbow.

Also, consider talking to the guys on the Fiberglass FlyRods forum. There are a surprising number of real lightweights out there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 pm • # 3 

RDP offers a carbon fiber 0-weight in either 5'8" or 7'6" lengths and it has gotten good reviews. There is also a TFO 1-weight in this board's classifieds with a couple of lines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm • # 4 

I have a couple of suggestions although I am not familiar with the specific rods mentioned.
This is based on my personal experiences.
1. If you like the feel of fiberglass, you may be disappointed in a graphite rod. I would stick to fiberglass on short rods if you like the feel.
2. On a small stream, length makes a significant difference when you are needing to avoid obstacles; going from a 7 to 7.5 can be a game changer. On the small streams I fish ocassionaly, a 6' rod is much more manageable than a 7'.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:45 pm • # 5 

Regarding length on small streams it depends.

If there is high grass and bushes a longer rod (say 8 or even 9) can help keeping the line above that stuff.

If it is more overhanging trees a shorter rod can be better, especially if you can wade.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply