It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sage Click reels
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 pm • # 1 

Trying to figure out Sage Click reels. I just obtained a "Click 0/1/2" (already have a 3100) and trying to figure out how many times Sage has changed this reel. I see there's a Click II, and that the spool has an "S" on it, so it's obviously different from the current Click. Was there a Click I? Click III, etc.?
Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Sage Click reels
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:42 pm • # 2 

I have a Click I , I think (I may be wrong) the "I" refers to the size with the "II" being the next larger and the "III being next in line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:41 pm • # 3 

That’s correct. The numbers are like Orvis CFOs or Battenkills—sizes I, II, III, etc. As to the generations of Sage Click series reels, I believe they evolved from the 3000 series (3100, 3200, etc), and there has been one update since the original Clicks. I think the only changes were in colors and porting designs. Sizes and weights remained the same. The 3000 and Click series owe a lot of their concept and “drag” design to the original Waterworks Purist reels. Wychwood River & Stream reels also borrow heavily on the Purist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 pm • # 4 

Here's my confusion. I have a 3100 and that's easy to understand. I purchased the current Click (0/1/2), and then a Click II (says so on the side of the reel foot) that's supposed to be a 0-1 wt. How do you know if a reel is a Click I?
Is the current Click simply that, the Click, or does it go by size (0/1/2), etc.?
Sage didn't make this very easy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 am • # 5 

The current edition of Click reels is sized by recommended line weight range (0-2, 3-5, 4-6). The previous edition is sized I,II, III. You can assume that the old size I equates to 0-2, etc. I suspect Sage changed the numbering system to make it clearer what the recommended lines are. Obviously, to me, they just added to the confusion.

Your Click II is the next size up in the series. I don’t know who would limit it to a 2wt line. That could have been because when the Click I, II, III were current, Sage sold 000, 00, and 00 lines and rods, and they wanted to differentiate which reels they intended for which rods, or to sell people more reels if they bought, for instance, a 000 wt rod and a 2 wt rod. In reality, one reel with one extra spool would have sufficed.

Now, to muddy the waters even more, a 3100, or Click I, or 0-2 (for example) can easily hold a WF3 line and enough backing for pretty much any small-average freshwater fish. If you use double taper lines and cut them in half, as many small stream and UL anglers do, you could likely fit half of a DT4 on a Click I reel with more backing than you’ll ever need. Some people like to get the smallest reels that will hold their line—for aesthetics as well as lighter weight on light rods. There are no rules, so long as your line fits without jamming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm • # 6 

So if I understand all this, the Click I/II/IIIs are the same reel, just different sizes, and the chronology would be Sage 3100, followed by the Click I/II/III, and then the current Sage Click version?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 pm • # 7 

Yes, and the line ratings for each appear to have been more aligned with what UL line wt rods Sage offered at the time than what actually fits on the reels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:39 pm • # 8 

Thanks much! Been puzzling over this Click saga for weeks, nice to finally understand.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply