It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 am • # 1 

Just picked up a 2wt and the commercial rio leaders seem like the but section is a little to large or stiff. Cut one back and added some lighter tippet but have not tried it yet. I seem to remember quite a few of you on here using ferruled leaders. Was there a particular brand or someone selling them that worked well? Any other comercial leaders working well? I used to tie my own leaders but will probably not get back into that.
Was mainly interested in trying some of the ferruled leaders I think.

Thanks,
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:27 pm • # 2 

I think you are referring to furled leaders. I have been using them for several years. There are quite a few sources, but I currently get all of mine from streamsideleaders.com. Mike has been making furled leaders for many years, and his leaders are of high quality, and usually lower in price than others I have tried. He makes leaders for line weight ranges from 0-2 up to 8-10. His leaders are available in several different lengths, and are available in materials ranging from Uni-thread to monofilament to Spectra material. They can be had with Shorb loops at both ends or with tippet rings at the distal end. If you have something different in mind, he can make custom tapered leaders. I don't have any connection to his business other than as a well satisfied customer.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:49 pm • # 3 

Correct spelling seems to be very lacking in my posts on this sight....

Larry, what material and configuration do you find works best from him for the ultralight lines.

Russell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:43 pm • # 4 

He offers lines in various colors and patterns in Uni-thread, monofilament, and Spectra superbraid. He also has recently started making some leaders from Nanofil. I have leaders in all these materials. I think my preference is the basic monofilament furled leader. The thread leaders are more supple but tend to soak up water unless treated. The Nanofil (or Nano Dragon) tends to knot up easily. The Spectra leaders are heavy and stiff. In my experience furled leaders tend to flow with the taper of the fly line better than standard mono or fluoro leaders. They are less prone to memory issues. I can usually get at least two or three years of use from a furled leader, just replacing the tippet as needed. I originally thought I preferred the Shorb loops at the end of a furled leader, but now prefer the tippet rings as they are less prone to twisting. My ultralight rods range from 6' to 7'6" in length and 1-3 in weight range. For a 6' rod I would tend to use a leader 3-4 feet long with a tippet of 2-3 feet. For a 7'6" rod I might use a leader 5' long with a 2-3 foot tippet. I hope this informaton is useful to you.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:24 pm • # 5 

For standard extruded mono leaders on ultralight, I have had good luck with buying a longish leader (10-12 feet) and cutting 3-4 feet off the butt to end up with a lighter butt section of reasonable length. Lots of leader formulas out there if you want to hand tie one. I think hand tied turn over better honestly and if I were a blue line trout fisherman I'd probably use them exclusively, but for my fishing I bring the leader into the guides all the time and the knots are annoying, plus they pick up flotsam in the dirty, stained, debris filled water in which poor men like me fish :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 pm • # 6 

Thanks for the ideas.
I used to tie all my leaders but time seems to be in short supply for leader tying lately and I have just gone with the ones I can purchase. For spey fishing I have come to fish 10-12' of 15lb Maxima and 4-5' of maxima 8-10lb. I seems to work as well as the more complex leaders I used to tie or buy.
For trout fishing I really liked the george harvey leaders. Just trying to find something that is not so stiff in the but for the lighter line.

Russell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:54 am • # 7 

I've mostly always just used Rio tapered leaders with all of my rods regardless of line weight. I tried furled leaders back around 2008 and did not really care for them personally. Nothing wrong with them per se, I just preferred my tapered leaders. I fish tapered on my 0WT rods as well as my 3, 5, 7, 9, and Spey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 pm • # 8 

I'm a fan of Zen Furled leaders. There are quite a few people out there making these leaders and I'm sure they work well. I like Zen Outfitters because of the variety Jamie has in his products.

I find that threaded furled leaders work better for me than nylon. I had started with nylon furled leaders and the loop at the end likes to break, plus when they soak up water they no longer float.

Threaded furled leaders generally come impregnated with floatant, so they are guaranteed to float. Plus many come with tippet rings, which I find is a big plus. I like threaded furled leaders because they land like a snowflake and they don't seem to spook fish. And if you take care of them they will last a few years. Just do NOT lawn cast them because they will pick up dirt and will not float.

Also you can clean them with clean tap water, then coat them again with floatant.

I no longer fish with tapered nylon leaders.

Some to look at are
Zen Outfitters
Appalachian Furled Leaders
Cutthroat Furled Leaders

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 pm • # 9 

I've been using Orvis super strong tapered leaders ever since Frog Hair seemed to disappear. I liked the FH fine but the Orvis ones are awesome. I found RIO leaders to be the worst for being wirey and too much memory. Stopped using those years ago. I've added tippet rings to some of my tapered leaders as well.

Maybe I just haven't found the right ones but I did try a couple furled leaders (can't remember which anymore) and didn't like them. Or at least I found no benefit to them. I especially didn't like the water absorbing/flinging bit, and wonder how that's a tolerable feature to anyone else. Still, I have thought recently about giving them another try.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:18 pm • # 10 

I still have not had a chance to test drive anything yet. Trying to get the kid a deer right now but more to look at. I don't think I mentioned that I am talking about a dry fly leader in this post.
Thanks,
Russell

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply