It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Line swap?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:50 am • # 1 
Administrator

So does anyone else here buy a double taper line, cut it in half, and split the cost with a buddy?

In the 4 wt and under lines I *never* need the full 90', so for a while a friend and I would buy 2 and 4 wt DT lines and cut them in half and split the cost. I have 35' of 2 wt running line on most of the reels so I just tie a loop in the back of the freshly cut DT line and do a loop to loop connection with the 2 wt running line that stays on the reel.

It's a great way to save money on lines if you have a friend who fishes the same line weights.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 am • # 2 
Administrator

jdub,
Never shared a line, but have picked up some with a buddy in mind to let him buy from me. I like the idea especially in smaller weights. Recently though I have solved that issue by purchasing Cortland 10 meter line from BPS. They're slick and cheap at $15.00 a copy. The best feature though is that they are true DT lines so they can be swaped when one end has been well used.
Here is a good link:
http://www.basspro.com/we...5000000_175003000_175-3-1

Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:10 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I saw those Cortland lines when I was in BPS last week. I was very curious but have never talked to anyone who had used one. Sounds like I need to try one out. Is the line itself similar to 444 peach?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 pm • # 4 
Administrator

jdub,
I can't say if they're similar because I have yest to buy any 444 peach, but I would bet it's a similar taper and finish. That is, not similar to SA line. I think for the money you'll be impressed.
On another note I bought some made in Canada Albright line from Sierra Trading post which it cost $15.00 a copy. This line was a shot in the dark, as the customer reviews weren't that favorable. This had a nice finish but would not hold a nail knot, so I had to create loop connectors for the line to be functional. Gene told me he thought the stuff perhaps was produced by Aquanova. You can be I won't be trying that stuff at full retail.
The moral is that some lines seem to be a good value but are indeed not.Image
Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:48 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Les, thanks for the heads-up on the Albright lines--I'll definitely steer clear. I'm heading over the BPS tomorrow to return some stuff, and I might pickup one of the Cortland 10 meter lines while I'm there.

I tried to send you a PM to possibly arrange a time we can meet to checkout your Deer Creek, but I get a server error when I try. If you're still willing to show me around, please message me or send me an email -- jerrywrussell@gmail.com

Thanks!

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:10 pm • # 6 

Jerry, the only issue with the 10m DT lines is that they don't come in a 1 or 2wt. I would like to see that line in a UL weight so we can load some spools for next to nothing!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:30 am • # 7 
Administrator

Andy,
In my discussions with some folks from BPS lower management, I was told that they weren't certain that they would keep the 10 meter lines. That said, I think they'll keep them so long as they stock the 2.2 ounce reels. And you make a great point: they should stock it in 1 or 2 wt. These reels are better used on 3 and under weight fly rods. Go figure, that's what happens when you put guys from Home Depot in charge of fishing products.
Don't get me wrong, they do support our clubs and our sport, but they miss the mark on certain products which hold promise then mark them down and move them out. Maybe the buyers in charge of fly fishing products should come here and visit these site to get a better feel for what we want.
Hmm, they call that marketing where I'm from.

End rant.Image

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:44 am • # 8 

Nobody cares anymore what the public wants. Wal-mart screwed the pooch on that one. They want what they can buy cheap and sell high. That is all.

On the subject of lines, Cortland makes 2wt DT lines, but not 1wt...I would probably pay $20 for a 10m DT 1F or 2F...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:29 am • # 9 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
I would probably pay $20 for a 10m DT 1F or 2F...
orvis silver label for around $20 WF2F with coupon code ABLACKCYBER8 comes out to $17.55 + shipping. It's not a DT, but they're pretty good lines--I have a 3wt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 am • # 10 

Eh...don't need another WF line. I would be happy with a DT...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:22 pm • # 11 

The question is not whether you need a 90' DT line. The question is whether you will be happy with a 45' line. I find that in lighter lines, you probably will not get the line to backing connection out the tip top, but you may have it in the guides, which is a very bad place. Remember that the rod is 8 - 9 feet long, leaving only 35 feet or so to cast outside the tip top. So, if you are content with casts of that length, get out the scissors. Don

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:51 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Zenkoanhead wrote:
...The question is whether you will be happy with a 45' line. ...

Remember that the rod is 8 - 9 feet long, leaving only 35 feet or so to cast outside the tip top. So, if you are content with casts of that length, get out the scissors. Don

I keep 30-40' of 2 wt running line (the back 40' of a WF line) on most of my reels, with a loop on the front. I use a loop to loop connection to attach the running line to the 45' of DT line on the front. The running line never wears out and keeps you from going into your backing prematurely. Works great, and you can still get away with cutting DT's in half. I do this on everything from 2 wt to 6 wt (and soon my new 1 wt). I have 7 and 8 wt lines but haven't modified them--I kind of like the whole 90-110' in a heavier line.

Regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:25 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Now that's an idea I hadn't considered. Do you have a hinging effect or snag at that point. with my ten meter lines I am usually in small creeks roll casting up to or a little over. So I am not that concerned with aerializing line.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm • # 14 
Administrator

keebranch wrote:
...Do you have a hinging effect or snag at that point?...
Not at all. The loops are sealed with superglue and are fairly stiff. On my lighter line weights I make the "head' 35-40' long. So after you add 7-10' of leader you're talking about 42-50' casts. I might shoot that much line, but I' won't be false-casting with it. The concept is just like shooting heads, and they've been around forever.

Here's a pic of one of my 4 wt lines where it connects to the 2 wt running line. I mark the tail end of all my lines with a sharpie so that it's obvious what the line weight is when I attach it to my reel. This actually has 4 black marks on it (for a 4 wt line), but my finger is covering one. The loops themselves are anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8" long, and because they're sealed with superglue (and stiff), they come apart very easily when changing out lines.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm • # 15 

Les, how do you like those lines for flotation and do they pick up debris?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:57 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Andy,
I noticed my first time out with the 3DT that the tip wanted to sink. So, after some thought and the line had dried out I treated the end with Knot Sense and the problem of water wicking up the core was solved. As a rule they float well and are about average on the debris issue. I have to clean "snot" when the algae bloom is on. Heck for $15.00, the stuff is great.
But I am inclined to give Jerry's approach some further thought. I have some older dead head lines with good running lines. I have experimented with attaching to reused running lines a clear loop to loop sink tip for trips on the Brazos river, but I was never really happy with the connection hitting guides when shooting. The super glued version he uses might be the ticket for me, especially outside the UL range when I plan to use sink tips.
I also have wondered if using running line from say an older WF3 or WF4 would work as a level line version of a 1wt or so. Food for thought for an old tight wad like me. Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:06 pm • # 17 

Personally, I can't take loop to loop connections moving in and out of the guides on a regular basis. I have permanent spliced running line to heads and can tolerate that, just barely. And like Les, I am skeptical of aerializing light running line. My solution to the whole issue is cheaper lines so that I can cut them as I please. Don

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Personally, I can't take loop to loop connections moving in and out of the guides on a regular basis. I have permanent spliced running line to heads and can tolerate that, just barely. And like Les, I am skeptical of aerializing light running line. My solution to the whole issue is cheaper lines so that I can cut them as I please. Don
Yeah, I can see on 5 wt and heavier setups how light running line might be a problem, but on lighter lines I can't even tell the diff. Once you're 35' into a typical WF line you're past the head and aerializing light running line anyway. The only difference is the loop connection--in this case a stiff one. It's way smoother than feeling a nail knot going through your guides, and honestly, I'll feel the connection with my stripping hand occasionally while retrieving line, but I never hear or feel it going out.

I have one reel setup with 5 wt running line for my 5 wt lines but I rarely use it. I cut my WF5's at about 40' and attach them to the same 2 wt running line as the rest. A side benefit is that it allows you to put a 5 wt line on a smaller reel Image

I rarely have more than 35' of flyline in the air unless I'm shooting it (I'm not that strong of a caster) so this setup works great for me, but like just about everything else--it won't work for everyone. If you're typically casting 45' or more on your UL setups then you might notice it (a 7' leader + 40' head give you a pretty long cast before the loop connection even starts out the guides).

If you're attaching a 10m Cortland line directly to your backing (which I think it what some guys are doing with the 10m lines), then a loop connection and light running line would be a HUGE improvement over aerializing 33' of line and then backing.

Regards,

Jerry

Last edited by jdub on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:45 pm • # 19 

I bought several of the Jim Teeny First Cast lines. They are 60' and perfect for small reels or something like this: I have a short five weight McFarland and of course it is very light. I put my Vision GT34 on it and it felt good, wound on the First Cast and it fit the reel and with plenty of backing. It balances perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Rockthief wrote:
I bought several of the Jim Teeny First Cast lines. They are 60' and perfect for small reels or something like this: I have a short five weight McFarland and of course it is very light. I put my Vision GT34 on it and it felt good, wound on the First Cast and it fit the reel and with plenty of backing. It balances perfectly.
I thinks that's about the perfect length of line for a light rod. The smallest line wt on those is a 4 wt though, isn't it? I wish they had them in 1 or 2 wt.

Jerry

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply