It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:35 pm • # 1 

Hello everyone, new to the forum.
I'm entertaining a 2wt for small warm water creeks; bluegill, small bass and wipers. The lightest rod I have is a Barclay 4wt; which you can do a lot with; definitely versatile.
I'm curious on everyone's opinion on what I can cast with a true 2wt rod. Can I still cast very small poppers and small streamers? I'm not worried about landing fish, they're not big. I'm partial to fiberglass but I understand that's just a preference. Any insight would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:12 pm • # 2 

Obviously 2 weight rods are not designed for long casts, but there should be no problem with casting small poppers and streamers. I have several 2 weight rods that I use for the species you describe. Except for the wipers. It would have to be a small wiper to be fun on a 2 weight. A larger fish would be a comedy of errors. I also prefer fiberglass.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:47 pm • # 3 

My favorite is a 2 weight TFO Professional 8'.
I have fished it in small creeks and ponds landed big bass 3.5 lbs with no problems and big time fun with Blue Gill. I also have a CGR 2 weight super fun for the little ones.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 pm • # 4 

After what Roblepl did with his little 1 wt rod, I'm almost inclined to think anything is possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:01 am • # 5 

Yes you can. This is a sample of what's in my box.

I tie from 12 to a size 4 for my spot. Bead heads, bead chains, nontoxic lead wraps. You'll be surprised what you can throw. The ditch I usually fish is about sixty feet wide...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 am • # 6 

Thanks for the insight. I suppose I’ll just have to buy some gear and try it. Wish I could find a high end used rod. I’ll keep an eye on the classifieds. Otherwise I’m so partial to CB rods I may have to talk to him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:25 pm • # 7 

I basically fish the same style flies strummer does, usually on either a 7.5' 2wt or 1wt. My most used fly is a #8 or #10 on a 1/80 oz lead jig head, but I fish sparse #4 bucktail streamers all the time, and nymphs/soft hackle wets down to 18 or 20. Very versatile rod size. I don't think there is a big concern in terms of landing fish on a 2wt, if you hook it you can probably land it fine. If it pulls too hard just lower the rod and let the drag take some load.

I would say there is a night and day difference between a fast graphite 2wt and a fiberglass 2wt in terms of versatility -- when flies get bigger, you want to cast further, or the breeze picks up the fiberglass rod is going to be frustrating in UL weights. And I'm saying that as somebody who really likes fiberglass fly rods...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:06 pm • # 8 

The general consensus I'm getting is that it shouldn't be a problem casting some small buggers and poppers.
IKA: I know what you're saying regarding the difference between the glass and graphite. I don't have beef with either, they each have their place. I've found myself gravitating towards glass as I just like how it casts up to 30 ft or so. Its so rare that I hook a fish at distance. So often with bass and similar species, its casts of 20ft to the right spot that works. I've also been shifting down in rod weight as the waters I've been fishing lately are smaller, hence short casts.
Thanks to all for the insight.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply