It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:45 pm • # 1 

I'm looking at a 2 weight Redington Trace rod--anyone have any experience with them? I've been using an Echo Carbon XL 2 weight, which I like a lot, but I'm having trouble with the reel seat ring getting stuck, and the cork is starting to crumble. I like the way the Carbon XL casts, but mostly I'm hoping to upgrade the reel seat and hardware to avoid problems on multi-day backpacking trips.

I'd love to buy a Winston Pure or Scott G series, but not sure I can swing the cash. If anyone has any experience with the Trace they'd be willing to share, I'd be grateful. How is the quality of the reel seat?

This rod will be primarily used with dry flies on small mountain creeks for brook trout, plus the occasional pond panfish. Does the Trace do well with small dries?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 am • # 2 

I'm sure the Trace would be fine, but so would the Classic Trout for $130 less. The CT has always enjoyed a good reputation.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:25 pm • # 3 

I really like the CT too, Larry isn't steering you wrong. It's a pretty slow rod, but for what you're looking to do it would be just right.

You could also pick up or build one of the 7.5' RDP rods, probably a 0wt or a 1wt would be better line weights for your usage. I have both and I don't think I've ever had so much fun as summer afternoons catching panfish on the 0wt. If I didn't have a compulsion to constantly try and cast heavy jig flies it would be the only rod I ever used.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:51 pm • # 4 

Thanks for the suggestions--very helpful.

I've enjoyed the Classic Trout in the five weight, it's a really nice rod, and a bargain. Wondering if there might be an upgrade to the hardware without going to a new full priced premium rod. Am also looking on the auction site for used premium rods, although I'm not seeing a ton of availability in 2 weight.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply