It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Livingston 703....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 pm • # 1 

About a year ago I purchased a Hardy Perfect fly reel. I had always wanted one, but after fishing with it a couple of times, the retaining screw holding the spool in place fell out. Part of the screw apparently broke off in the spindle. I had it repaired, but never did use it again. Two weeks ago I put it up for sale or trade. I received a Livingston 703 rod in return. As you could guess, this is a 7' 3 piece 3 weight rod. It is built from S-glass, but is a rather slow soft action, very progressive in nature, bending down to the cork. Most 3 weight rods I have cast will also cast very well with a 4 weight line, but this rod will cast very well with a 2 weight line. Two friends who also cast it believed it was better with the Leland Creek 2 weight. Tried to fish with it yesterday, but I guess the water is still too cold for warm water fish as we never saw any fish. This rod is an absolute delight in casting a dry fly, very smooth and accurate. I think I made a good trade.

Larry

Post subject: Re: Livingston 703....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:59 pm • # 2 

That a way baby get ya sum !! lol You should put one of these on it and save some money and look smart too . Oh sorry , just realized I cant up load from my pc . Hint ,,,,,it was a [picture of a reel . lol Nice rod , I'm getting one when I grow up . :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:48 pm • # 3 

Ron, I sure didn't save any money or look smart when I bought that Hardy Perfect. Nice looking reel, and the ball bearing smoothness sounds pretty neat, but it does have a design flaw in that when it is set up for left hand wind, it tends to unscrew the spool retaining screw. Not a good thing to have in a reel. I am much happier with my much cheaper reels that are typically click and pawl and very simple. Are you still on a rod buying spree?

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 pm • # 4 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Ron, I sure didn't save any money or look smart when I bought that Hardy Perfect. Nice looking reel, and the ball bearing smoothness sounds pretty neat, but it does have a design flaw in that when it is set up for left hand wind, it tends to unscrew the spool retaining screw. Not a good thing to have in a reel. I am much happier with my much cheaper reels that are typically click and pawl and very simple. Are you still on a rod buying spree?
Larry

I dont know Larry . I sold my toy hauler and another 5th wheel so I'm lookin for a popup truck camper . If I dont find one I still have the 19' 5th wheel for this summer . I'm also looking for some land to buy in Northern New Mexico but **** land is high there and its all waste land . I'd like to get fie acres somewhere around Aztec N.M. as thats a jumping off spot for many mnay rivers in North NM and south Co .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:39 pm • # 5 

Good luck finding good land at reasonable price in NM.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:04 pm • # 6 

I know , 42K for 10 acres with an uninhabitable house on it and NO well in sight . My sis old house .

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply