It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sage TXL-f
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:33 am • # 1 

Hi All,
I’ve been away for a while caught that’s called LRF bug in the UK, basically UL sea fishing.
I’ve now got the fly fishing bug again and if anyone would be so kind I’m after some advice.
Nearly all my experience so far is with Orvis classics, Ultrafine, Far & Fine and the 6’ 6” 1oz #2. I’m thinking of a change in pace literally, the TXL-f but which wt.
I fish small streams from under my feet to 20 ft mostly high stick duo stuff, some dry but I’m no purist, so bow and arrow aplenty. Fish are in the 6”- 8” range with the rare whopper 12”- 14” fish.
I’m trying to come to terms with all the information on the net re softer rods load better for close in stuff which I do a lot of and the undoubted popularity of the TXL-f which by my standards is a fast rod.
So which wt should I look out for. I appreciate the 0, 00 and 000 are really 1wts
and the 1wt is supposedly a 2 wt and so on. I was thinking 1wt.
Many thanks
Chris.

Post subject: Re: Sage TXL-f
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:33 pm • # 2 

Unfortunately all the years I lived near salt water I never considered fly fishing (fly fished in the brackish waters for freshwater fish). Regardless, I have a pretty good idea how I would fish in salt water but I will leave it to those that do to chime in.
I am interested in knowing, and I think others will be too, what type of salt water you will be fishing, in-shore (like a bay or feeder stream) or in the surf; what are the tides like (current strength).
If you care to, we'd like to see some pictures of your salt water fishing experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 am • # 3 

Hi Jim.
Thanks for the reply but I’m talking about small stream fishing, sorry for the confusion.
Chris.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:11 am • # 4 

I dont type a lot so here goes . Welcome . Give an RDP rod a try . Mark builds them anyway you want or buy his blank and build it yourself . I have three and like them a lot . My build on an RDP 7'6" 1wt blank is my go to UL rod and I have many . Good luck .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:36 pm • # 5 

jangles wrote:
I dont type a lot so here goes . Welcome . Give an RDP rod a try . Mark builds them anyway you want or buy his blank and build it yourself . I have three and like them a lot . My build on an RDP 7'6" 1wt blank is my go to UL rod and I have many . Good luck .

Ditto!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:37 pm • # 6 

The nice thing about the faster UL rods is that you can cast a bit further and with a bit larger flies than you might with a slower rod. That said, I have RDP rods in 0wt, 1wt, and 5wt and they are my go-to UL fly rods so I'm not exactly a hater.

Here's some pike fishing on a TXL-F 000wt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbv-jBL6Mg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:28 pm • # 7 

[quote="Whalebone"I’ve been away for a while caught that’s called LRF bug in the UK, basically UL sea fishing. [/quote]

Chris, my intention is not to hijack your thread and get too far from your original point, but the LRF as a type of UL fishing really aroused my curiosity… so much that I had to look it up on the big bad search engine. Perhaps you could enlighten us about it in the UL spinning sub-forum.

Another possibility is that it could be a new application for UL fly-fishing… like with a 2- or 3-weight outfit, fast-sinking shooting heads, little cone-head streamers, clousers, etc. How about it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:57 am • # 8 

Hi Pete
It is a Japanese thing that is more correctly called Light game fishing.
Some anglers in Jersey (Channel Islands) picked It up some fishing journalist did a piece on the Jersey lads and called it Light Rock Fishing hence LRF as opposed to the heavier gear commonly used. Rods with very low casting weights, typically 0.5 to 8g. It’s great fun drop shotting in harbours plus in the river I know I’m going to catch brown trout or Grayling.
In the sea you never know. There’s plenty of stuff on YouTube, have a look.
No issues about hijacking the thread, in truth my lateness of reply is because I got side tracked myself by another Japanese pursuit, Tenkara.
Regards.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 am • # 9 

He’s not sea fishing in this clip but the same principles apply, he’s a multi champion lure fisherman. YouTube Steve Collet Dropshot confidential I think.
Chris.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm • # 10 

Whalebone wrote:
He’s not sea fishing in this clip but the same principles apply, he’s a multi champion lure fisherman. YouTube Steve Collet Dropshot confidential I think.
Chris.

I think this is what whalebone was referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUiCfhMu6A

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:21 pm • # 11 

Theflicker67 also has some great YouTube videos and is a nice chap who helped me when I first started.
Chris.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:05 pm • # 12 

Whalebone wrote:
I appreciate the 0, 00 and 000 are really 1wts
and the 1wt is supposedly a 2 wt and so on. I was thinking 1wt.

My 2wt PacBay blank is listed as a 2, most Common Cents measuring folks do on that model put it at a lovely 1.5 or so. You never know, but shorter sticks are more likely to feel a bit less than their rating and longer blanks a bit more due to butt section.

My advice? You're talking UL so go with the lightest they make and see what they can do with it. It's easier to find heavier or overpowered rods so you won't be lost if you want more there. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I think the real differences between 1wt and 2wt are pretty hard to discern in fishing use. The lines I use are way lower than any industry ratings and they work just dandy across the lighter rod designations. A beautiful thing, really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am • # 13 

Thanks for all the replies, I may be going down a different route all together now though. Still a bit more research required.
Cheers,
Chris.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:31 am • # 14 

Sewing machine thread will work on those bruisers .

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply