It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:41 pm • # 1 

Has anyone cast or fished an RDP 0wt stretched out to 9'4" and made to a 5pc with inserting a 2wt butt in to it? I've toyed with a similar thought for a while and Mark confirmed the idea for me this morning. I want a longer rod for tricos and super light swinging but tenkara is not appealing to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm • # 2 

toothybugs wrote:
Has anyone cast or fished an RDP 0wt stretched out to 9'4" and made to a 5pc with inserting a 2wt butt in to it?

Love to shock you and say "Why yes, I have done precisely that before!". But alas, I cannot. Interesting idea and it might make a great rod if you can get the transition to your liking. I know of folks who mix/match sections and they say it works just fine to their assessments.

I think some of the earlier Euro-nymph experiments involved swapping sections to explore the design of what are now manufactured ESN blank concepts.

Heck, I built on a Sage RPL+ 6wt blank long ago and the aggressive change from the butt to the tip proved that the field is wide open and structurally pretty functional for dramatic differences in flex characteristics over 9' of blank. That was an extreme blank for a 6wt.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:47 am • # 3 

Well the blank should be showing up early next week. I'll report back on how it does and my thoughts on it. I'm expecting it to be more like a very willowy true 00 than anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:59 am • # 4 

toothybugs wrote:
Well the blank should be showing up early next week. I'll report back on how it does and my thoughts on it. I'm expecting it to be more like a very willowy true 00 than anything.

So what blank did you order? Possibly the RDP 7.5 foot 0-weight?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:26 pm • # 5 

PampasPete wrote:
toothybugs wrote:

So what blank did you order? Possibly the RDP 7.5 foot 0-weight?

Correct, with a spare 2wt butt section. I'll probably stent it to make it an even 9'6" though.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:26 pm • # 6 

I think it would be worth your while to use the Common Cents System and run some tests before building it out all the way: first with the upper 3 sections of the 7'6" rod, then with all four sections, and finally with the extra 2-weight section. The results may be surprising, but that will tell you better what to expect before going all out.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:14 pm • # 7 

I have the 7'6" 0 wt and it's too willowy for me to even thing about going longer . Good luck .

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:12 am • # 8 

Good thought, and thanks. I had some fun with this though - I ordered 2 copies of the 7'6" #0, one with the extra butt section, and a spare tip if one of them pops. I am only planning to build the 5-section rod first so if it's a disaster I've built some redundancy/ fall-back in to my plan. I already have a 5ft-something 0wt (Ben's of Holland glass) so I don't need the 3-section 0wt.

PampasPete wrote:
I think it would be worth your while to use the Common Cents System and run some tests before building it out all the way: first with the upper 3 sections of the 7'6" rod, then with all four sections, and finally with the extra 2-weight section. The results may be surprising, but that will tell you better what to expect before going all out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:17 am • # 9 

Short update, since progress is going slower than I had hoped:

I extended the 2wt butt section by a couple inches and glued a reel seat and some cork rings on to it. Comparing it to my Gen 1 2100 ESN that I built out a few years ago, the RDP 5pc is a LOT lighter, but it still feels very capable without being a noodle. Looking forward to slapping guides on it and getting you guys a few pics and a casting review.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:17 am • # 10 

Mr. Toothybugs, the suspense is killing me. Have you made any progress on your project?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 am • # 11 

PampasPete wrote:
Mr. Toothybugs, the suspense is killing me. Have you made any progress on your project?

Cork is mostly ground down and guides are laid out but my lathe started acting a little wonky so I quit halfway through. Slowing things further, I have a 2yr old who HAS to be doing all the fun things that Dad is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:35 pm • # 12 

Mr Toothybugs, I'm with PampasPete: the suspense is killing me too!
Have you made any progress on your project?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 am • # 13 

It kinda sucks to say this I haven't done a thing with this since the last update. A busy fall and delayed ability to fix my lathe rollers has put this at a much lower priority. Even more so now that my trout season is over with and ducks are starting up. However, I haven't stopped thinking about it by any stretch. Now completion is a spring target. Hopefully I can get some pictures of a finished build up before the holiday season hits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:59 am • # 14 

Brief update: lathe is 90% back up to where I need it to be, I still have to finish rebuilding my rollers but all the lathe housing is finished, ventilation (dust suction) complete, roller parts are assembled and laid out, and really just some minor cutting has to happen before I can call it done. Then I'll finish the grip, wrap the guides, and post pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am • # 15 

Holy crap that was October I last updated this? Ugh.

Rollers are completed enough to be useful and I finished turning down the grip yesterday afternoon. I have the guides placed for wrapping when I can find the time to do so. I'm still torn on what I want to make my wrap colors though so that may be dragged out.

For now, the build specs that are locked in:

Seat: Aluminum cap and slip ring style, aluminum anodized to a clear/ bright matte finish with a recessed cork insert over the 2" butt extension
Grip: 6" bullet, flor grade cork
Guides: PacBay R2546 light wire snakes (11 of them - 1x #2, 2x #1, 2x 1/0, 3x 2/0, 3x 3/0) behind an 8mm mildrum. All chrome. Spacing (to center of guide): 3-7/8" - 8-3/8" - 13-1/2" - 19-1/4" - 25-5/8" - 32-5/8" - 40-1/4" - 48-1/2" - 57-3/8" - 66-7/8" - 77 - 87-3/4"

With the guides placed I can tell this rod isn't a noodle but is so willowy it's wonderful. Definitely lighter than my 080 SPL and so far similarly smooth.

Edit: Guide spacing added.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:45 pm • # 16 

Toothybugs,
How's the RDP project going?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:37 pm • # 17 

Busy summer and a new browser has me visiting my old pages less, but the update is that there's no update. A home remodel stalled a lot and I am still sorting out the details of how I want to finish this, as well as just being short on time always and ever. I'm indecisive so it sits till I am comfortable with my plan for the finale.

Plus I don't seem to trout fish anymore, which kind of kills my enthusiasm for a building a trico stick.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply