It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Redington CT 2 wt
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:42 pm • # 1 

Hey folks, recently got back into fly fishing and looking to get on a 2wt. Up to this point I've never casted any fly rod other than a 4wt St Croix imperial and currently I can average ~40-50 ft with fair accuracy, nothing to write home about though.

Anyway I have really been looking at the redington CT 2 wt due to the decent price, for those of you who have it how is the casting? About how far can you get out with it? If I were to attempt to throw a size 10-12 bluegill popper or foam spider hows it cast? Can you throw a size 10-12 beadhead wooly bugger?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just have never tried a lighter rod. I know when I attempt to throw bead-chain clousers on my 4 it is a crap shoot that just leaves me frustrated lol.

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Redington CT 2 wt
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 pm • # 2 

Based purely on my experience, and I have no experience with the Redington CT 2wt, what size fly you can cast on any rod is going to depend to a large extent on the caster. Linecaster, a member on this forum, can cast #8 bead chain flys on his 8ft 2wt TFO beautifully. I on the other hand need a 4wt for the same fly.
Personally, I would have difficulty with a #12 bead head wooly bugger on a 2wt (its been my experience woolies soak up water and are comparatively heavy; I fish them alot but go down in size to make them castable) but it might be easy for you.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:51 pm • # 3 

I haven't used my 2 weight CT rod in several years, but it is a nice rod. I am definitely biased toward glass rods, but as graphite goes, the CT has a fairly nice moderate action. There shouldn't be any problem casting size 10-12 wooly buggers with the CT. It casts pretty nice out to 40-50 feet, and remember UL rods are not distance casting rods.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 am • # 4 

I love the CT rods, they are somewhat out of fashion in the modern area of very fast action rods but they are great. Furthermore, they are an excellent value.

Casting a weighted fly is possible on just about any line weight with a bit of a modification of the cast, basically some variation of a belgium/oval stroke. Get the fly moving and the momentum of the fly will carry the line as much as the other way around. #10 or #12 bugger beadhead buggers are not particularly heavy to be honest and should be no problem on a 2wt. I cast #8 1/64 oz lead jigs on my 0wt all time time. It isn't dry fly casting but it works just fine.

Casting bulky floating flies (like poppers) on the other hand is tough on light lines and even the best technique can't get you much distance. The line has to carry the fly and it has to do it relatively slowly and that requires mass.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:51 am • # 5 

Thanks for the input, I’m mainly looking at this rod to target panfish, specifically bluegill, while my 4 weight is fine I am looking to go lighter for a better fight. I ask about casting simply because I am not great at it lol. I definitely cannot lay the fly out like you see them doing on YouTube at 50-80 ft etc... my other question is what lines do you guys recommend for the 2 wt ct? I generally fish still water ponds/lakes. Is a WF all you need or should you have a spare spool for sinking to target subsurface fish? Or will tiny splitshot get the job done?

Btw I was mainly leaning towards the CT due to the price point if there is something better out there by all means let me know. I am just looking for a modestly priced 2 wt setup that is easy to throw and really fun to catch bluegill and the occasional bycatch bass on.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 pm • # 6 

You mentioned you need to work on your casting. I would recommend until you are more experienced and have developed a better casting stroke, that you put a 3 weight line on the CT 2 weight. It will also make it easier to cast those weighted flies and poppers. As your casting improves, you can move to a 2 weight line, though admittedly most of the WF2 lines on the market are actually 2.5 weight.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:44 pm • # 7 

I'll recommend the CGR 2 wt at $70. I prefer glass on a light rod such as a 2wt. I wouldn't bother with sinking lines if you pond fishing; that's the kind of fishing I do. I've tried sinking tips and modifying the sinking tips and hated casting with them and besides, they are not needed in ponds. I use both WF and level line, nothing special.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:08 pm • # 8 

So Jimred you think that the cgr will outperform the CT? I don't know a whole lot about the actions etc.. but like I said up to this point I have only ever casted a St. Croix imperial which from my understanding is fast action, so I have no experience with anything else. How does the CGR compare?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:18 am • # 9 

I have the CT in the 7.5' 3wt and they're nice rods. Very smooth casting. My understanding is that the 2wt is just a tiny bit stiffer for its weight designation, but still more flexing than the Imperial series from what I know about those. The CGR is a different animal. I know they get a lot of love but I tried several models of the CGR, including the 2wt, and they all got returned. Felt kinda like casting a spring. And I do have other glass rods (down to 0wt). There are different generations of CGR , so maybe I got a hold of the wrong one. Just don't take the plastic off before you really cast it.

So I guess if you're wanting to completely depart from what you have, then a CGR does that and could be a lot of fun if you like the action (many do). I don't think it will outperform the CT if you're after distance or carrying any line at all. I'd also look at the Echo Carbon 2wt. It comes in a little better length for a 2wt and I think a little lighter in action than the CT.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 am • # 10 

I own both the Redington CT 2 wt and the CGR 2 wt and find them completely different rods, although I admit to liking both. However the Redington is very close to one of my favorite U/L rods. It’s moderately slow but very powerful for its weight class. I’ve landed both a 30” channel cat and carp on it. I would call the the CGR a wispy, fun rod that is great for sunfish.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:44 am • # 11 

Yeah, I'm leaning very much towards the CT 2 wt, on average what size flies do you find easy to throw on it and what line do you tend to use? That is my biggest concern with going UL because up to this point I have only fished a 4 wt, and even heavy streamers really give me issues, and being from AL 99% of my fishing is sunfish/bass.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:43 am • # 12 

The fly I fish the most with the CT would be a #10 or #12 bead head leech pattern. I use a SA 2 WF fly line now but have a couple of other brands in the same style that work as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 pm • # 13 

blakenorris2004 wrote:
So Jimred you think that the cgr will outperform the CT? I don't know a whole lot about the actions etc.. but like I said up to this point I have only ever casted a St. Croix imperial which from my understanding is fast action, so I have no experience with anything else. How does the CGR compare?

Don't know anything abut the CT, but for the short UL rods I've fished I prefer the glass rods. Of course not everyone likes the glass rods and not all people who like glass care for the CGRs. As described above they are "soft" (whippy sounds degrading to the rod).
In my opinion the only way you are going to know which you prefer is to try both.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 am • # 14 

Every dedicated fly fisher should own a fiberglass rod, because they are great casting instructors and nothing else is as fun to cast. But: The slow action of fiberglass rods in UL weights is a little bit too limiting for the way I usually fish. If most of your casts can be less than 25', the wind is calm, and you don't feel like you have to throw weighted flies then go for it. It is never wrong to own either of those rods, plus they are cheap with good resale value. Own both!

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply