It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 am • # 1 

Hey guys,

Back in December, I stumbled across a great deal on an Echo Dry 290. I scooped it up immediately and had really been enjoying it. Unfortunately, I caught a branch on a back cast a few weeks back, and the rod snapped just below the tip and 2nd segment as I continued my casting motion.

I sent it in to Echo for a replacement. However, they apparently discontinued the Dry series and cannot replace the rod. Instead, they're offering me a "similar" Carbon XL or Boost model as a replacement. Do any of you have any experience with these rods?

These are the UL option from both lines:
Carbon XL: 7’3 #2, 7’6 #3
Boost Freshwater: 7’0 #2, 7’6 #3

None have the length of the Dry, but they unfortunately no longer carry a longer 2wt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:38 pm • # 2 

Just put another tip top on it and fish it . I've done a few and it hasn't really changed the action all that much but thats with an inch or 1 1/2 most .
I bought one like you broke and have never fished it , I guess I should be careful with it ?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm • # 3 

jangles wrote:
Just put another tip top on it and fish it . I've done a few and it hasn't really changed the action all that much but thats with an inch or 1 1/2 most .
I bought one like you broke and have never fished it , I guess I should be careful with it ?

Guess, I didn't clarify where the break occurred. It was in the second section just below the connection with the tip section. Unfortunately, not as simple as swapping tips. As for being careful, I seem to have poor luck with Echo rods. I've now broken two of the three I own (while casting!) within 6 months of purchasing them. Only other broken rod to my name was an old Cortland that met an unfortunate end in a car door.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:22 am • # 4 

I see , well thats out then . It's the 9' 2wt you're talking of that was on sale in Jan or Dec ? Thats the one I got . The only other Echo I have is the little practice rod/system . I am pretty rough on fishing gear so rod failure is no stranger , certainly not as strange as Cliff ! :lol OOps , did I just type that ? lol

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:06 pm • # 5 

jangles wrote:
I see , well thats out then . It's the 9' 2wt you're talking of that was on sale in Jan or Dec ? Thats the one I got . The only other Echo I have is the little practice rod/system . I am pretty rough on fishing gear so rod failure is no stranger , certainly not as strange as Cliff ! :lol OOps , did I just type that ? lol

That's the one! Really enjoyed that rod, so I'm disappointed to have broken it.

Speaking with the account rep a bit more, they've offered to replace it with a Shadow II 10' 2wt. Perhaps more length than I was looking for, but not as redundant as swapping the Dry out for a short 2wt or 3wt (already have those). Sadly, it won't be here before I head north in two days, but I'll find time to put it to use once I'm back.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 am • # 6 

Good luck with your trip . I could use another nymph rod if you want to trade for my new never used 9' 2wt Dry .

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:40 pm • # 7 

jangles wrote:
Good luck with your trip . I could use another nymph rod if you want to trade for my new never used 9' 2wt Dry .

Appreciate the offer, but I'm intrigued by the Shadow II. Sounds like it casts fairly well, and isn't simply a euronymph rig. I think you'll enjoy the dry once you've used it though. Seems to be a legitimate 2wt (casts best with a 2wt line), and I really enjoyed the extra reach.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 pm • # 8 

No problem just trying to help you out .

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply