It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Why ??
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:51 am • # 1 

Who knows why but I picked up a couple more rods . One is the reddington trout 2 wt . I really needed to own 7, 2 wts but he'll it was there . The other one is a Sage but I can't expound as it's a heavier rod and this is an U L forum so please forgive me .

Edit: I'm 72 yrs old and I think I have 71 rods so one more to go for this year !

Last edited by jangles on Sun May 30, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Why ??
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:33 am • # 2 

They all have their place. You really don't want to now how many rods I have. My wife intentionally doesn't look at my rod closet.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:33 pm • # 3 

toothybugs wrote:
.....My wife intentionally doesn't look at my rod closet.

:lol Never heard it called THAT before.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:02 am • # 4 

I'm also contemplating if I need a 2 wt. I have a 1 and a 3 wt and don't really need a 2 but maybe I do:)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:37 pm • # 5 

Dominikk85 wrote:
I'm also contemplating if I need a 2 wt. I have a 1 and a 3 wt and don't really need a 2 but maybe I do:)

Going by AFTMA numbers, there is as much percentage difference between a 6 and an 8 weight as there is between a 2 and a 3. Similarly going from a 1 to a 3 is proportionally like going from a 4 to a 7.

No one says they don't need an 8 weight because they have a 6, or have a 4 and a 7 and are so set for everything ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:19 pm • # 6 

Every rod out there is capable of throwing at least 1 line wt over and under the listed specs

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:29 am • # 7 

SWCR wrote:
Every rod out there is capable of throwing at least 1 line wt over and under the listed specs

:applause

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:34 pm • # 8 

SWCR wrote:

Every rod out there is capable of throwing a 1 wt line...period! Just feels different, carries about what a 1 wt line will carry, goes about as far, etc.

I think we're mostly matching for casting pleasure and feel a lot of the time when we search for "the" line. Even within widely held definitions and agreed upon rod/line marriage criteria, when one switches to a sinking line, it's probably feasible to drop two weights and keep the same feel in casting. Gives a lower diameter as well.

Sinkers and intermediates always seemed to give a very big overlined feel to any rod when used in the same weight as the floating lines. I preferred to drop 1 or 2 weights when I used 'em more often in the past, they carry and cut through the air so efficiently relative floating lines that one has the option.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm • # 9 

Jangles began this thread by mentioning an unmentionable rod. " The other one is a Sage but I can't expound as it's a heavier rod and this is an U L forum so please forgive me ."

That's OK Ron. You could always post about it in Off-topic Discussion. Someone will probably mistake it for a pool cue and all will be forgiven.

KnotJoe was talking about sinking lines. My understanding has always been that we should drop down one line weight when using a sinking line because it will pick up water and effectively become heavier. And the reduced air resistance surely can make a difference while casting. The problem is that for UL applications sinking lines are just commercially available down to about a 4-weight. One possiblility may be to use the running line off of a 4-weight WF sinking line, maybe that would result in a 2-weight sinker. Intermediate lines are another story.

KnotJoe, you can come clean with us. Do you know something about truly UL sinking lines that we don't?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:05 am • # 10 

PampasPete wrote:
KnotJoe, you can come clean with us. Do you know something about truly UL sinking lines that we don't?

Nah, I’m just a garden variety DF who does strange experiments with flyline. :lol My apologies for wandering into sinking line subject matter, I was just using it to illustrate the grain weight rule does not always apply so rigidly.

But since we’re here and the shock of learning that Jangles actually has 71 fly rods has finally wore off a bit, we should discuss…

I’ve owned sinkers down to 3wt and my use always seemed to evolve into what you describe, mainly using more of the running line instead of the full head and associated weight of it. Tended to think of a 90’ flyline schematic and slide a 50’ (imaginary) rectangle over the line to see which section I wanted to use. Chop that section out and have a go at it.

Now, if you’re **** about grain weights, one could coil and measure sections and figure exactly what you want as far as proportions of head and running line sections. Same for front taper at the cut, some will splice or loop to rejoin/reconnect for a tapered tip. I never cared to and preferred the hard kicking “WF Extreme” version of the idea as is. It gave a powerful turnover which allowed me to throw much larger bugs into the wind and on smaller stuff made for an interesting UL shooter line. Not exactly graceful on the cast relative floating line, but very functional in terms of delivering the goods in adverse conditions.

As an aside, I think SWCR’s statement on +/- 1 line weight for any rod is a good one and something worth strong consideration with line and rod matching. In some ways, having one rod and 3 different lines for it is almost akin to having 3 rods. A rod can work, feel, and function quite differently on different lines and have an expanded utility far beyond the mythical “perfect” line. Specific use determines specific need and uses can change thoughout the day or season.

Best get to shopping, Jangles…you’re gonna need alotta lines! 71 rods!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:16 am • # 11 

knotjoe wrote:
PampasPete wrote:

Best get to shopping, Jangles…you’re gonna need alotta lines! 71 rods!

A large part of my rods are rods that I built myself and have never been fished . They will all be donated to Healing Waters when I check out so I feel it's not a wasted thing but as of late I have been buying top shelve NOS rods just to win friends and influence people . Nothing says snob like an Orvis shirt and a Helios 3F ! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:49 pm • # 12 

Why not?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:03 pm • # 13 

Last edited by jangles on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:04 pm • # 14 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Why not?

Been sick .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:39 pm • # 15 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Why not?

:lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:08 pm • # 16 

I love you guys , man !

Last edited by jangles on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 am • # 17 

::)

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply