It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A Nice 1 Wt Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 am • # 1 

Hello All, thought I would pass on my opinion of the Maxcatch 1 wt paired with a Wychwood River & Stream reel.

The Maxcatch 1 wt is a nice rod. I ordered mine in early 2021 directly from them off of eBay with extra tip and case delivered for $55. I fish short cast water so lined with 2 wt. I can very easily cast 40 feet, roll cast about 25-30, including a 1/2 inch airlock strike indicator. I've fished size 20 to weighted size 12 flies with it. It's a good deal. Paired with a Wychwood River & Stream 2/3 reel that weighs 1.8 ozs, half fly line plus some backing and it's perfect for me where I don't need more than 25 ft of cast length. The whole rig weighs about 4 ozs. I did provide Wychwood with feedback regarding the click drag strength on the reel needing more resistance and they said they are looking to improve that.

Cheers,

George

Post subject: Re: A Nice 1 Wt Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:50 pm • # 2 

The Wychwood River & Stream reel is the lightest reel I have found for use on short UL rods. I have never found the drag to be lacking, as all I expect from it is to keep my line from backlashing when I strip line off the reel. I use the palming rim for any drag needed when bringing in a fish.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:56 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the follow up Larry. Yes, the drag isn't really a big issue. On my reel I need to set it on the highest drag to stop backlashing if I strip the line hard. You're right though, not needed to land a fish. Wychwood said they are looking to address the issue because they have received quite a few comments from customers. Overall, I think the reel is spectacular for the price. You can buy the 2/3 or 4/5 size (1.8 and 2.0 ozs, respectively) reels for under $130 including shipping on Amazon.

Cheers,

George

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:45 pm • # 4 

After reading these posts I researched the Wychwood quite a bit and finally bought one a 2/3 wt. . They are as stated 1.8 oz. unreal how light this reel is fits perfect on my Mitey Might 5' 3" 2 wt. rod all comes in at 4.5 oz without line. Reel is very nice and well made...

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply