It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 70 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: CCP Rant
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 am • # 21 

And for an Englishman it would be Atlantic Salmon, Sea Trout and Eels !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am • # 22 

Chris, glad to see that you made it back. While we're discussing such matters as country-specific fish and respective tackle, perhaps you can clear up a point that is mysterious, at least for me. While perusing the British version of that notorious auction site, I occasionally see what is advertised as a "Brook trout fly reel". In North America, a "brook trout" is actually a char. In the UK, is a "brook trout" any trout (probably a brown trout) that inhabits a brook?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm • # 23 

You are dead right Pete we don't have brook trout here,
Brown trout are our only indigenous species. If or when they run to sea, ( as they often do in spate rivers without much available food ) they are called Sea Trout, Sewin being the Welsh name and the smaller first season fish are called Peal in the west country.
They are our equivalent of the American Steelhead which are Rainbows that run to sea in that country.
We have one river ( the Derbyshire Wye )where rainbows breed naturally and most fish farms breed Triploid rainbows for stocking and the table.
We have Artic Char in our deep northern glacial lakes and Lochs and Grayling in many rivers.
A brook is a stream so the name brook reel refers to the suitability not the species.
My first reply thanking you for getting this thread back on track got lost somehow. In it I asked what rod you would be pairing your little Ruben Heaton reel with ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:12 pm • # 24 

oxford chris wrote:
In it I asked what rod you would be pairing your little Ruben Heaton reel with ?

It will probably go on an "Ottoni Fujiyama" telescoping rod. It was originally 2.7 meters long and built for bait fishing. But cutting a few inches off the tip and omitting the bottom section left a 6' rod for a 0-weight line. Of course that also meant fashioning a rod grip/reel seat and adding guides (rings) at the proper places. The rod was supposed to have come from Japan but probably was made in ... you guessed it ... China. Sorry about that, but it was in a local sporting goods store...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:01 am • # 25 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I only catch fish made in the USA.

:lol :applause Now, if you were a REAL patriot, you'd limit yourself to redbreast sunfish, white crappie and blueback trout

I do catch black crappie so that proves I'm not a racist. If there were backtheblue trout I would definitely put all those back because we need as many of those as possible, they're the good guys. But I do eat bluefin tuna, white bass and redfish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 am • # 26 

oxford chris wrote:
Superb !
Could that be because you only fish in the USA do you think ?

Nope. I once went fishing in British Columbia and didn't catch any fish there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:08 pm • # 27 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I only catch fish made in the USA.

:lol :applause Now, if you were a REAL patriot, you'd limit yourself to redbreast sunfish, white crappie and blueback trout

If you were a real patriot and not a communist sympathizer you would know that bluebacks are salmon :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:50 pm • # 28 

lka wrote:
If you were a real patriot and not a communist sympathizer you would know that bluebacks are salmon :)

...or a Canadian (ah, but you already said that :lol )
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:29 pm • # 29 

I caught a Canadian Red fish . She was a real keeper till INS came and got her .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:22 am • # 30 

I understand what you are saying.

When the Russians recently massed on the Ukrainian border, I resolved that if they invaded I was going to quit playing an online Russian tank game that I dearly love. It would have pained me to uninstall it, but I would have. I replaced Kaspersky on my computers because I decided that I couldn’t trust them.

I own a few Maxcatch fly rods. I bought one after reading about a guy who was using one for inshore saltwater fishing. Then I got the 3 wt, too. They are both fiberglass rods. And then after I read Pablo’s posts on here about using a 1 wt to catch bonefish, snook, and tarpon, I got one of those, too.

War is coming. I’m convinced of that. The events that are happening now between the U.S. and China are eerily similar to what happened between the U.S. and Japan prior to WW2. Expansionism, the quest for natural resources. I’m not sure if it will happen in my lifetime, but I’m thinking maybe in the next 10 years. The Chinese are preparing to invade Taiwan.

If that happens and we get into a shooting war with China, the first thing I do will be to bust up those Maxcatch rods. I won’t even take them to Goodwill and drop them off. Won’t sell’em. I will destroy them.
Maybe I should divest now. Since we’re not shooting yet I could give them away in good conscience. I could replace that 1 wt with an Orvis SFG 2 wt. The heavier one I could replace with a BAG 6 wt.

I won’t dump the tank game until I have to. For a while I was drifting intellectually in life. It seemed I had no sense of purpose or interest. The game reeled me back in. And I can do it in any weather, particularly the long hot, humid summers here in Florida when it ain’t fit to do anything outside.

But this thread has prompted me to look into some books on the China issue, and I think I have found five titles that will be enlightening.

I guess it was a good thing I bumped into this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:25 am • # 31 

Good for you Del Gue, well said.
People have become complacent and make no mistake the CCP have way more intention of world domination than the Russians ever had.
Your new president sure ain't up to leading the USA when things start to happen in earnest and I have serious doubts that he is the one calling the shots even now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:12 am • # 32 

Del Gue: Is it only the fly rods that are in peril, or have you examined all the products in your home that are, in whole or in part, of Chinese manufacture/origin? That, in itself, would be quite an exercise, but the results would be quite an eye-opener, I expect.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:50 am • # 33 

We can talk about how great it is to buy American (or British, in Chris's case) but with the way globalization has taken hold since the 70s there's no practical way to do anything but stamp your feet and pout. Raw materials sourced from all over, components manufactured everywhere else, final product assembled in a third place... I see it in my industry (coatings) like you wouldn't believe, and we even make most everything - resins, pigments, etc - here in the country. I don't even want to think about electronics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:04 am • # 34 

You are 100% right toothybugs the CCP have insidiously inveigled themselves into everything by the simple principle of doing it cheaper than anyone else. I'ts hardly a new concept the Japanese started it straight after WW II after all.
The only way the free world can fight this is to avoid Chinese products as much as possible. Damage limitation if you like.
The problem being - most folks would willingly sell their souls to the devil to save a penny ( even if they can afford not to )
We are our own worst enemy, apathy reigns supreme and the bloody communists know it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:38 am • # 35 

The one thing I know is made in America is the fish I catch in Texas. FISH AMERICAN!! :hat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 am • # 36 

wheezeburnt,

It is only the fly rods in peril. I am not so naive to believe that I could rid my residence of any and all Chinese made or affiliated items and maintain any sort of reasonable life. I trust that if hostilities break out the rupture of the supply chain will rid America of the flow of Chinese items, as well as domestic sentiment against China and buying Chinese.

Nor am I under the illusion that just because I buy from an 'American' company, such as Echo, that I may not be buying a Chinese product anyway. The global economy is such that companies, including American companies, buy from the cheapest suppliers in order to make the most profit, and often that is Chinese companies. Some companies, like Orvis, make at least some of their rods here in America. But my choice to buy from Orvis or Echo allows me to tell myself that at least the money that I spend on the rod goes to an American company, rather than a Chinese company like Maxcatch. I bought those Maxcatch rods some years ago, before the handwriting on the wall started glowing regarding the inevitability of a future war.

And Chris is right. I just the other day saw a headline of an article saying that the Chinese have weaponized corporate greed and the willingness of American companies to buy Chinese, whether it was in America's national interest or not, in order to maximize profits and make every last penny possible.

While it may not be reasonable or possible to divest my existence of every thing Chinese, I take such actions as I feel compelled to, and willing to do, to satisfy my own sentiments in the matter.

But Cliff is right on two counts: the fish we catch are American fish, and we catch them in America on American waters. If one the the nukes must fly, and the world as we know it comes to an end, I can think of no better place to be when it happens than in America, on a beautiful little stream, chasing trout!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:31 pm • # 37 

Brent, if you have any of your expensive fly fishing equipment that you want to get rid of for free, then just let me know and I'll take it off your hands. Then I'll sell it to a Chinese friend of mine. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:44 pm • # 38 

Frivolity is all very well but the CCP aren't laughing they are busy f. . .king over Hong kong and preparing to move on Taiwan.
CCP have deliberately weakened every economy in the world with Covid and will be taking advantage of that situation no doubt.
Guess you won't be laughing much then eh !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:03 am • # 39 

Cliff: you are welcome to ALL of my expensive fly fishing equipment - no surprise, I own NONE! :lol My stuff's all low end (mostly) United Statesian assembled stuff. I discovered long ago what Robert Traver once said: "...trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience..." You can also have my Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman. It is now in my will, bequeathed to you. I can think of no more worthy owner. :lol

On the topic in general:
Any thoughts on how a self-professed communist society/system so easily insinuates itself into self-professed capitalist society/systems? Is there a flaw in capitalism that favours such insidious assault?
brent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:00 am • # 40 

Yep - human nature !
More specifically greed and the willingness of some people to f. . k each other over for a god **** percentage.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 70 posts ] New Topic Add Reply