It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: sinking tippet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:07 am • # 1 

Morning Ladies & Gents ( are there any ladies BTW ? )
I need your advice and help with a problem that I've been struggling with, almost forever it seems.
We're all aware that when fishing dry it is preferable to have our tippet not floating conspicuously on the surface near the fly. However fine the tippet especially in flat / clear water floating tippet causes alarm in shy fish and is undesirable.
Problem is - how to avoid this.
Mud or sinkant is a chore to apply, doesn't work well and needs constant re application.
Is flourocarbon the answer then ?
Trouble is it doesn't sink fast enough when one only has a few seconds drift.
So anyone know of a fast sinking flouro I can try or have other ideas / thoughts ?

Post subject: Re: sinking tippet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:28 am • # 2 

Sinking tippets with dries will generally sink your fly and/or cause drag issues. I would try a downstream or an across/ down presentation before I sunk my tippet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:14 am • # 3 

What bugs said .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:52 pm • # 4 

I've never had that problem Ron and some of our rivers are upstream dry only.
The last thing you said to me was - " go **** yourself Jackass Limey " if you recall.
A quaint turn of phrase for a redneck moron living in the boonies. I feel sorry for your poor wife ( and the chickens )
I am however re-assured to know that there probably isn't a defibrillator within 50 miles. So when you have that inevitable
' clutcher ' you will have a few minutes of excruciating pain to reflect on your worthless existence, as your sad life ebbs away.
BTW is that thing with 2 wheels some sort of motorcycle by any chance ?
Looks like it will neither preform, go round corners or indeed win any beauty contests.
Do yourself a favor and get a proper bike not some antiquated piece of pig iron.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:54 pm • # 5 

oxford chris wrote:
I've never had that problem Ron and some of our rivers are upstream dry only.
The last thing you said to me was - " go **** yourself Jackass Limey " if you recall.
A quaint turn of phrase for a redneck moron living in the boonies. I feel sorry for your poor wife ( and the chickens )
I am however re-assured to know that there probably isn't a defibrillator within 50 miles. So when you have that inevitable
' clutcher ' you will have a few minutes of excruciating pain to reflect on your worthless existence, as your sad life ebbs away.
BTW is that thing with 2 wheels some sort of motorcycle by any chance ?
Looks like it will neither preform, go round corners or indeed win any beauty contests.
Do yourself a favor and get a proper bike not some antiquated piece of pig iron.

Well arent you a pesky little twirp ? What happened , your boy friend make you swallow ? You fuckin limey fag .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:07 pm • # 6 

Spot on,
Pretty much the sort of reply I expected Ron.
Do you fancy fishing together next time I'm in the US ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:11 pm • # 7 

You started it again fancy Dan so whats on your mind ? Care to have a go when you get here ole chap ? We can arrange that .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:13 pm • # 8 

Are you talking fishing or fighting big man ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:15 pm • # 9 

What ever you want , it's all here for you .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 pm • # 10 

Well seeing as the US has some of the best fishing on the planet, how about you show me what you got local ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:22 pm • # 11 

PS only joshin' you about the hog, v nice piece of iron.
I have Norton and Morini BTW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:27 pm • # 12 

Local , there is nothing . I live at least a 4 hr drive from any river / creek fishing . There are some little lakes around but they are warm water , muddy and the banks are lined with bait chuckers . Depending on where you land and time of year I can help put you on fish or places to fish .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:50 pm • # 13 

Sounds good Roy.
So where do you wet a line then ? Any suggestions as to where I should head for and when ?
Perhaps we could hook up someplace good that you know and sink a few, hook a few eh !
Probably have to be next year now though due to Covid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:35 pm • # 14 

I fish different places at different times of the year . Never here in Arizona though . I fish southern Colorado , Wyoming , Montana , Idaho and this year I'm going to float the Green River in Utah . I'm leaving here (AZ) on Saturday morning for the Southfork area in Colorado , again . From there , I may back track to Northern N.M. and do some tiny creek fishing for Brookies . Up until mid Oct or early Nov is my fishing time and I answer to no one , not even the chickens !
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:42 pm • # 15 

Well, it's nice to see my friends communicating in a somewhat civic tone!

Now, about the leaders. Chris, you're talking about a problem that I unfortunately no longer have. For one thing, because here trout are considered an exotic, invasive species. Also because nowadays I hardly ever fish dries. Of course, nylon tippet material does sink slowly once you can get it to break through the surface tension. Even if you do use something to do that, like mud, hand soap (not Ivory, which floats) or a special concoction, if your leader lays out too straight between the line and the fly, you have less time for it to sink before drag sets in. That could even be an issue with fluorocarbon. One thing you might look into, using that weird Google thing, is the "George Harvey slack leader formula". I've used the same concept, although not to the same degree, with some success.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:20 am • # 16 

Maybe you will loose your phone or ability to post while on you trip. You guys act like this on one of my pages and you would be out of there. It must me nice to hack worthy members posts

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply