It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Favorite 3wts?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm • # 21 

Hey Brent,Down south here in Massachusetts,we've hit a bit of a cool spell after a real mild December,which was nice! When I play fish in the great white backyard,the plastic line definitely stiffens up in a couple of minutes ,the colder ,the faster. I use mostly inexpensive line since I fish relatively small streams 10-50feet across maximum. The swingwight of the rod does not seem to matter,just my cold fingertips! Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:56 pm • # 22 

Chet: Thanks. I do a bit of salmon fishing in April that can occur at or below freezing , and there's no doubt about the lines stiffening, but with wetsuit gloves on and guides icing up, I cannot say for sure what the overall impact is on the flyrod's casting. I can definitely tell you the effect on MY contribution to the process, and it ain't beneficial. Appreciate your insight.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm • # 23 

Chris, I fished an Echo 7' 6" 3 wt 3 piece last summer on the Truckee. Also, a Loomis 7' 9" 3wt Whisper Creek 3 piece, another sweet rod. Very nice rods,smooth toss and sweet weight! I'll be using it whenever I visit my kids in California. My in laws have a whole array of nice rods,so I don't have to bring all my gear with me when I travel! I love small creeks/rivers and light rods!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm • # 24 

I have a St. Croix 7'6" 2-piece Legend Ultra IV that I built in 1999 and that is my favorite. Nice and light and it seems like others have posted in this thread about enjoying it. Have a old Diamondback blank they sent me after building a 3pc and having it snap on me first time out - it came from barrel at their VT location, so don't know what the model is, but nice moderate action - it was rated as a 4wt, but use it with 3wt DT line mostly. Have a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3wt that I bought on closeout for $25 - couldn't pass it up (along with a 8' 4wt and 9' 5wt). I will be using that more this year as I was using more fiberglass the last few years.

Can't wait to get out, but I really dislike the cold here in MA - spring is on the way though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:16 am • # 25 

It was nice fishing in December,mild temps and the rivers kept flowing until January when everything froze.I hate that movie frozen,hah. I've been practicing in the backyard,5 minutes at a time, for the last week in anticipation of the thaw!Might go out today.Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:24 pm • # 26 

wheezeburnt wrote:
juji99 wrote:
Just went out into the backyard snowfield to throw the Silver Label 7' 9" Chet

Chet (and others). Got a question - for those of us that live where sub-freezing temps are possible for 6 months of the year, and unavoidable for 4, how do you reckon those temperatures affect the nominal 'weight' of a rod or, given the loss of flexibility in a vinyl line, the effective weight of a fly line?
brent

Won't touch it. Your rod might feel a little crisper because the cold will make the resins a little more crystalline as well as make your line stiffer; unless you have a good coldwater trout line it's likely to clatter through the guides a little more. But it'll shoot better in the cold, because the harder line won't have as much friction against the guides.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:24 pm • # 27 

Sage 389-2LL GIII is my favorite. Replaced a stolen GII version long ago. Also have a 3 pc custom and 4 piece "Classic" in the same rod.
I have a Redington Red CT 8036 that is nice too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:45 am • # 28 

Used quite a few 2wt-4wt 7'-8' rods the past couple years for upstream nymphing and across and down swinging. Developed a liking for a 2wt Wulff triangle taper with them because the light front taper sags minimally for upstream nymphing but with more line out casts fine for swinging. Wish I could say I tried any of the other rods mentioned in this thread, but all I can say is that a 7.5' Echo Lift 3wt (new version of the Base) is my favorite. Interesting, I think, because this rod is low modulus and cheap. Mostly I'm fishing the tailwater in Pueblo, Colorado, where a rod has to handle 20" trout fairly often. No problem.

I'll probably try other rods after a while, and I may choose rods mentioned in this thread, so I hope people continue to add in.

Nice thread. thanks.

Last edited by johnlau on Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:05 pm • # 29 

I’ve fished a few.
1. Cabelas Three Forks
2. TFO Pro 7 1/2
3. TFO Pro in 8 1/2
4. TFO BVK in 8 and with the 10’conversion
5. Orvis Superfine 7 1/2
6. Orvis Recon 1st Generation 8’4”
7. My current is a Orvis H3 F at 8’4”

My favorite is hard to say, it’s a toss up between the BVK and the H3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:09 pm • # 30 

Helpful post. thanks :applause

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:48 pm • # 31 

My 3wts are probably my favorite rods; Orvis,Sage and Green River.I've caught everything from a 19" brown,17" brookie to a 19" rainbow on them ! Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:37 pm • # 32 

I've got an Echo fiberglass 3 wt and a Redington CT Trout 863.

Saturday I ordered an Orvis Superfine Glass, which is supposed to be arriving Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:16 pm • # 33 

Both of my 3wts are Sage...379 LL, which is a custom on a LL blank, and 380 NIPPON marked.

Both have great presentation...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:12 pm • # 34 

I have several Sage and Orvis 3wts, but the one I find myself going for most often is my Sage Circa. For a 3wt that has a somewhat slower action, it cuts the line through the wind like no other 3wt I've casted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:29 pm • # 35 

I'm new to the forum,(wish I found it sooner), I have a 7' 6" T&T Baetis 3 wt I really like and a 7' JP Ross Beaver Meadow 3 wt that is an excellent small stream choice as well. If and when I get the money and opportunity to land an Orvis superfine "Tippet" I don't think I could resist.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:23 pm • # 36 

Since my Dec 10, 2022 post I bought a 7'6 3wt Echo Carbon XL and a Grey's Lance to see what I could do for under $200, and found I slightly prefer both over the Echo Lift. Still using the 2wt Wulff Triangle taper line. If I'm fishing where I know I'll probably just get fish under 16", I prefer the lighter feeling and slightly softer Grey's. The Carbon XL feels a little heavier and stiffer, but I'm keeping it, and the Lift still impresses me for $100+.

Last edited by johnlau on Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:03 am • # 37 

Just picked up an original Scott Powr-Ply 803, 8 ft 3wt...looking forward to trying it out soonly

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply