It is currently Sat May 28, 2022 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Favorite 3wts?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm • # 21 

Hey Brent,Down south here in Massachusetts,we've hit a bit of a cool spell after a real mild December,which was nice! When I play fish in the great white backyard,the plastic line definitely stiffens up in a couple of minutes ,the colder ,the faster. I use mostly inexpensive line since I fish relatively small streams 10-50feet across maximum. The swingwight of the rod does not seem to matter,just my cold fingertips! Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:56 pm • # 22 

Chet: Thanks. I do a bit of salmon fishing in April that can occur at or below freezing , and there's no doubt about the lines stiffening, but with wetsuit gloves on and guides icing up, I cannot say for sure what the overall impact is on the flyrod's casting. I can definitely tell you the effect on MY contribution to the process, and it ain't beneficial. Appreciate your insight.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm • # 23 

Chris, I fished an Echo 7' 6" 3 wt 3 piece last summer on the Truckee. Also, a Loomis 7' 9" 3wt Whisper Creek 3 piece, another sweet rod. Very nice rods,smooth toss and sweet weight! I'll be using it whenever I visit my kids in California. My in laws have a whole array of nice rods,so I don't have to bring all my gear with me when I travel! I love small creeks/rivers and light rods!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm • # 24 

I have a St. Croix 7'6" 2-piece Legend Ultra IV that I built in 1999 and that is my favorite. Nice and light and it seems like others have posted in this thread about enjoying it. Have a old Diamondback blank they sent me after building a 3pc and having it snap on me first time out - it came from barrel at their VT location, so don't know what the model is, but nice moderate action - it was rated as a 4wt, but use it with 3wt DT line mostly. Have a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3wt that I bought on closeout for $25 - couldn't pass it up (along with a 8' 4wt and 9' 5wt). I will be using that more this year as I was using more fiberglass the last few years.

Can't wait to get out, but I really dislike the cold here in MA - spring is on the way though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:16 am • # 25 

It was nice fishing in December,mild temps and the rivers kept flowing until January when everything froze.I hate that movie frozen,hah. I've been practicing in the backyard,5 minutes at a time, for the last week in anticipation of the thaw!Might go out today.Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:24 pm • # 26 

wheezeburnt wrote:
juji99 wrote:
Just went out into the backyard snowfield to throw the Silver Label 7' 9" Chet

Chet (and others). Got a question - for those of us that live where sub-freezing temps are possible for 6 months of the year, and unavoidable for 4, how do you reckon those temperatures affect the nominal 'weight' of a rod or, given the loss of flexibility in a vinyl line, the effective weight of a fly line?
brent

Won't touch it. Your rod might feel a little crisper because the cold will make the resins a little more crystalline as well as make your line stiffer; unless you have a good coldwater trout line it's likely to clatter through the guides a little more. But it'll shoot better in the cold, because the harder line won't have as much friction against the guides.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:24 pm • # 27 

Sage 389-2LL GIII is my favorite. Replaced a stolen GII version long ago. Also have a 3 pc custom and 4 piece "Classic" in the same rod.
I have a Redington Red CT 8036 that is nice too.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply