It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:00 am • # 1 

Hello everyone,

I need a new line for my Winston 804 B2t. I recently bought the infinity line and it is way too heavy, the rod bounces everywhere. I tried the Rio Technical Trout and it fell apart after 15 outings. Here’s my contenders, which are all true to weight at 120 grams, or very close to that for first 30. They vary in head design and length. Most of my fishing is 10-25 feet in spring creeks (dries, small streamers, hopper dropper.)

1) Orvis Pro Trout
2) Orvis Hydros Light Line
3) Winston Energy
4) 406 lines
5) Barrio
6) Wulff TT
7) SA Trout

Looking for experience or recs, especially those who have fished a B2t. Action is very much medium.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:05 pm • # 2 

I'm afraid I have never fished a winston rod but I have exposure to some of those lines. IMHO the type of fishing you do is quite forgiving and a lot of line types will work fine for that just get the weight right. You might as well get a DT -- that way you can reverse it after a bunch of use.

I have a bunch of Barrio lines (DT, SLX, GT90) and I like them all. The DT I use in 6 and 7wt for my fiberglass rods and its perfect for that taper.
The Wulff TT is another favorite. Not technically a small creek line but lays out great for the way I cast. The 406 lines would be perfect.
I'd also put in a plug for the Cortland Peach 444 DT which I happen to like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:45 pm • # 3 

Barrio lines have been out of stock for last several months. He is trying to find a new supplier for lines built to his specs. The 406 lines, SA Trout, and Orvis lines are all nice.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:33 pm • # 4 

I found regardless of line, a dbl taper on my 3wt B2t was always better than WF
lines…the last line was an SA Mastery for small rivers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:42 am • # 5 

I've done plenty of business with Tom (406 Lines) and he has a good product for cane and glass folks. Odd that your Rio line fell apart so fast, I've had pleasant experiences with Rio in the past. At heart I'm an SA guy but none of the lines you are looking at are bad by any means.

If you can find one, I'd've suggested over all of those that you line up a Cortland Sylk DT and have at it. Otherwise my vote is for the TT or 406 DT.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:42 pm • # 6 

Those BIIt rods really, really like the Rio Trout LT lines. That long, fine front taper is money in close and the transfer of energy the taper provides, with heavier line always turning over lighter line, gets the most distance out of these rods with a more delicate flex profile. Roll casting will never be better, as well.

If you can get your hands on one in WF3, you'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:46 am • # 7 

If you Don't use a specific small stream line then overlining a size can be good for UL because lines are weighted for 30 ft (which means like 40-45 ft casting distance with leader and a bit of line shooting).

So if you only cast 20-30 ft on average (15-20ft line out) you are actually underlining your rod.

There are some small stream lines who do account for that.

Conversely professional competitive distance casters are actually underlining their rod intentionally (i. E using a 5 wt line on a 7 or 8 wt rod because they are false casting about 60 ft of line (in single handed trout rod distance) before shooting line so a 5 wt rod would be too weak for that.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply