It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:01 am • # 1 

Hello, just picked up a Tealweight II and wanting to know what line and backing capacities it will take . From other posts it looks as if it a bit smaller than the Featherweight. Any help greatly appreciated.
Rube Wood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 am • # 2 

Rube, take the fishing end of the flyline and attach it to the reel. Load it up and see where it needs to be trimmed (if it needs trimming) and proceed to snip. Take it all off, attached the "snipped end" to the reel and you're good to go.

Same method works for figuring backing if you need it, it's simply backward loading the flyline as a measurement method. Helps to have another reel handy to unload once it's all figured.

Specifically on the Tealweight II? Everyone gushes about this reel online when they acquire one, yet very few speak of line capacity or even intent to fish with them. Reckon it's more of a collector thing than any type of user tackle as they can be rather pricey. Best I've seen is spool stickers labeled DT-3-F which is of dubious utility. What the specs on lines were back then is not necessarily what they are now (by brand or manufacturing era) so it's backward loading and measuring thing for you.

I mention snipping or trimming the running line part because it is a small reel and probably won't accept a full 90' modern flyline. It might though and maybe you'll even add a bit of backing to shore it up prior to unloading and respooling. Good luck and report on what you find here.

(yeah, it's a fiddly PITA method to properly measure line and/or backing for a reel, but it's works perfectly and is about the only real way to do it accurately)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:00 pm • # 3 

Thank you very much Joe !!! Really appreciate it. I'm going to be using it on my SPL 282-3 or my 3 wt Winston . Thanks again and I'll let you know .

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply