It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 pm • # 1 

First post!

I’m a real UL lover for trout. TFO finesse 1wt blank made into a spinning is my go to fun rod for spin fishing for trout. I’ve landed really big stocked fish on it too. Love to feel the grip bend in my hand.

I’ve been fishing an Orvis helios2 2wt for trout a lot.

Now I’m really thinking hard about a 0wt. Small streams in Pa for wild browns and wild brookies. There is very little out there to buy in that weight. I get it,not really a huge market for them. I see the Sage but I’m not really looking to spend that kind of money. I did see the RDPband they look really interesting. But………is that really a 0wt? I don’t want another 2wt marked a 0wt.

In the RDP line is that a 0wt?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:53 am • # 2 

Welcome!

(Sorry I can't help you with your question)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:23 pm • # 3 

What is a 0wt really anyway? There aren't AFTMA standards for lines below 2wt, only manufacturer (Sage, basically) "conventions" so there is little consistency. When you see rods at 0wt or 1wt or 0000wt or 2wt about all you can safely assume is that the rodmaker decided they were lighter than a 3wt :)

That said I have an RDP 7'6" 0wt that I bought from a forum member here a few years back for far far too little money. It is a superb rod, I love it and fish it all the time, certainly for things it was not meant to do. I abuse the crap out of it. I broke the reel seat off and epoxied it back on. At some point the tip section broke and the new one has different sized guides and different guide spacing and different thread color so it looks real janky.

I couldn't tell you its true line rating as I find that to be fairly subjective. I will say that I typically use a 1wt line with it, mostly because I have several of those and they are cheap. I have used a 2wt in a pinch and it cast it great over short distances but got overloaded before the whole head was out. I have never held a 0wt line and I am skeptical that there are any commercially available at the moment, marketing aside. If there were, I am certain this rod would cast it fine.

As further testament I later built an RDP 7'6" 1wt, and then an RDP 9'0" 5wt. RDP isn't compensating me for this extensive free marketing but perhaps they should -- Mark, get in touch :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:15 pm • # 4 

that is all good info, thank you. I guess what I am trying to avoid is replicating the 2wt I have now. I think these being full flex I should get more bend than what I have now. I actually called Mark today to ask questions. he was at work so I 'm going to try him again later. I feel like a 0wt 7'6'' is in my future

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:38 pm • # 5 

I have no first hand experience with them, but I thought the RDP blanks were generally considered a bit underrated in their line designation. I do know that Olde English Flyshop has a 6' blank marked as a 2wt, but I throw a 1wt on it. And that's really only because I haven't found a 0wt line that was any lighter than the true 1wt line I have. I would love to find a true to weight 0wt line for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:56 pm • # 6 

Major problem is that many of the cheaper blanks are going to be underrated for their best line weight. I can't tell you how many 30-75 dollar blanks I've bought that I used with a line or two higher. Builders' hint, don't label them until you cast them!! That said, the RDP rods I have blanks for feel much like I hoped they would.

Another option is James Green fiberglass. I have a couple in the 1-2 weight category and that is definitely the max line I would put on them. My favorite is the Salvelinus series 7'6" #1 which is a 1 only when I want to really slow down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:03 pm • # 7 

Agreed on inexpensive blanks. But not the case at all with the OE glass blanks. The other way around on the ones I've built.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 am • # 8 

According to a rod builder who is more knowledgable than me, the 7'6" RDP 0-weights are built on the same taper as the 5'8" ones. The difference is that the longer rods simply have one more section, being four-piece rods rather than three pieces. So the 5'8" RDP rods are probably "true" 0-weights, at least more so than other commercially available rods. One of those would seem like a fun small-stream rod.

As far as the lines go, your best bet may be to look for an old Sage Quiet Taper in a 0-weight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:06 am • # 9 

PampasPete wrote:
According to a rod builder who is more knowledgable than me, the 7'6" RDP 0-weights are built on the same taper as the 5'8" ones. The difference is that the longer rods simply have one more section, being four-piece rods rather than three pieces.

Yes, I believe this is true.

Regardless, my blank is fairly old, I cannot guarantee the tapers haven't changed...but I think mine is a "true" 0wt or pretty **** close.

The AFTMA line mass standards are largely ignored at this point anyway, with every modern rod underrated by at least a half weight or sometimes a full line weight to keep up with line manufacturers who produce 7wt lines that weigh in as 9 wts.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply