It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:05 am • # 1 

I just picked up a new 6 foot 2 weight St. Croix Mojo Trout fly rod. I already have a St. Croix Legend Elite 3 weight 7'9" fly rod I picked up new around 10 years ago or so now which is an awesome fast action stick that still makes fighting west slope cutthroat & rainbow trout fun but I wanted something that makes the smaller fish a little funner along with something that works well for smaller creeks. My initial comparison doing the wiggle test suggests that this new 2 weight stick should have the desired effect as it's quite a bit more noodly compared to the 3 weight I own. I'm just curious if there are others out there with the St. Croix 2 weight 6 footers (Mojo Trout & Imperial) and what your impressions are so far, how you like it, etc. ?

Also what lines are you running on these rods? I have a Redington Zero 2/3 reel on order which is a nice light inexpensive reel at 2 3/4 oz which I hope will have a fighting chance of somewhat balancing the 6 foot rod. I also picked up an SA 2 weight creek line which is technically 1 weight heavy in grains (so a 3 weight in grains) with as shorter head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 pm • # 2 

Try any 2,3 or 4 wt lines. The first 30 ft of the lines DT or WT are essentially the same + or - 30 I have a hard time discerning the difference. After about 45 ft you might feel something different. But your probably not tossing a 2wt that far anywho. My experience fishing 1-4 wt rods in small streams is that 95% of the time it does not matter,to me or the fish!LOL Chet

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply