It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am • # 1 

Hello, just wanted to put this out to all. Am looking to get a Sage Trout LL 389 and wanted to know if anyone has done a side by side comparison to the Trout LL and the old Sage SPL 383-3 or SPL 389-3 . The old Sage SPL rods are a favorite and haven't had a chance to cast the new Sage Trout LL I'm the 389 model. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thank you !!
Rube Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:18 pm • # 2 

I've got a custom Sage GFL RP 379 which is an unbelievable rod. I think from 1982- 1986.Sweet medium actionThrows everything from Woolies to dries 30-50 ft! Using 3 or 4 wt line.Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:24 pm • # 3 

I have cast and fished just about all of Sage's various lightline rods from the original GII LLs to today's Trout LL and Dart rods. The newest rods using Konnetic and Konnetic HD technologies are SO much more advanced than even recent Graphite 5 models that is really is difficult to compare .... the proverbial apples to oranges, if you will.

The new rods are lighter, stronger, more accurate, have more "feel," are better in close, better way out far, fight fish better, cast further, are more delicate, essentially are better in every way you can imagine and some you cannot. The new 389-4 Sage Trout LL is BY FAR the best 3wt I have ever used. It does things you never would have thought you could do with a 3wt, but still lands more delicately than competitors' 2wt rods when you need it.

I absolutely LOVE the 383 SPL ... it was always one of my favorite rods. But the newer Sage rods .... 382 Little ONE and 389 Trout LL are so much better that the only reason I'd use an SPL today is for the nostalgia.

BTW, if you know anyone wanting to get rid of an old 383 SPL, let me know. I'd love to have one back in the quiver. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:25 am • # 4 

Accuracy is in the hands of the individual, has absolutely nothing to do with the design or structure of the blank.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:51 pm • # 5 

SWCR wrote:
Accuracy is in the hands of the individual, has absolutely nothing to do with the design or structure of the blank.

I beg to differ. Wobble and tip bounce are absolutely different among different materials. Less of both = more accuracy. Simple physics. Do some slow-motion photography and see what tip bounce and wobble do to loop shape. They have a BIG effect on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:17 pm • # 6 

Typical newby that does not have evidence nor knowledge of rod build characteristics other than what marketing has described. I believe 50 + years of building along with a great many professional builders qualifies me quite well regarding this subject. If that were true also then building on the spine of the rod would also become imparitive to casting accuracy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:57 am • # 7 

Gonna agree with Ron. Tip bounce and wobble are often attributed to poor casting mechanics. If you see waves going down your line, you're doing something wrong. A firm, crisp stop in casting without shocking the rod from poor power application will never cause a rod tip to bounce.

SWCR wrote:
If that were true also then building on the spine of the rod would also become imparitive to casting accuracy

Which, Sage does not. The alignment dots on Sage blanks are along the straightest axis, not along the spine of the section. Since we're talking about Sage rods here it's a very valid statement and argument.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:16 pm • # 8 

Rube, I think I would just keep fishing those older Sage rods. The new LL might have some technical advantages but I doubt it's more fun/enjoyable to fish? And they are Expensive! Will add that I have a Sage Lil One 482 that I absolutely love fishing, have heard the 382 is even nicer so maybe tried to find a used one and save some cash?

Regarding this accuracy debate, I fish a lot of different rods and in my hands some feel inherently more accurate than others otherwise I would feel equally accurate regardless of which rod I had at the moment. If I am casting 40' in a cross wind I need to generate some line speed and roll a tighter loop to be accurate and some rods are just better at doing this than others. So, are we talking about casting accurately in a vacuum at 20'? Or fishing at both short and longer distances in wind?

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:36 pm • # 9 

Love the older Sages! And their cheaper ,too! Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:35 pm • # 10 

SWCR wrote:
Typical newby that does not have evidence nor knowledge of rod build characteristics other than what marketing has described. I believe 50 + years of building along with a great many professional builders qualifies me quite well regarding this subject. If that were true also then building on the spine of the rod would also become imparitive to casting accuracy

How many blanks have you formulated and made?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:39 pm • # 11 

Not even a viable question related to the original post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:43 pm • # 12 

SWCR wrote:
Not even a viable question related to the original post.

But it is.

Just wondering that in "50+ years of building" if you have ever actually built a rod or if you merely installed components on a rod (blank) built by someone else.

You also called me a "newby" and I can assure you I am anything but that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:15 pm • # 13 

Oh F the "build vs make" discussion again. Leave this crap over on the bamboo forums.

Lay out some credentials Emperor Anonymous. Who are we talking to?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:15 pm • # 14 

EmperorMA wrote:
Just wondering that in "50+ years of building" if you have ever actually built a rod or if you merely installed components on a rod (blank) built by someone else.

I'm not SWCR and certainly not at the 50 year mark in experience, perhaps more like 25 years. Never rolled, just assembled.

Now, on spine and accuracy which is something SWCR mentioned as a comparison...it's a maybe for me. I've never spined a rod, affixed a handle and 30' of line, then test cast while occasionally rotating the rod 1/4 turns to see if spine actually influenced the cast and line lay. Essentially, a long line tenkara style/guideless test with real flyline.

I know once guides are on any influence of spine is pretty much canceled by the guides and they all behave the same there. IOW, it doesn't matter. Still, it would be neat experiment to what spine does when unimpeded by other elements.

On damping? I dunno, I'm at the point where any claims here would have to be backed-up by actual user video these days in rod comparison. Just kinda assumed everyone who fishes more or less adjusts their technique to get the desired result on various line/rod combos. Heck, I even do it with UL spinning tackle when whipping light jigs. Fly or spinning, they all waggle if overpowered, hard flicked, or snap-stopped beyond a certain threshold. Certain drifts and rod strokes eliminate it, though, and after a few casts I find which work with what flies, jigs, or rigs.

Maybe advances in carbon and tapers really do matter to some here. It's possible that many of us who call Sage (and other companies) out on advertising BS are just in a natural and perpetual state of adapting to whatever we are casting. I'll will say this...those of you who notice huge differences in rods with regard to damping and accuracy are stubbornly consistent in your casting habits. Far more than me, anyhow. I don't think I've ever been this consistent from rod to rod and am always "looking for what stroke works best".

Possibly why I do so much stupid sh*t with tacklecraft...I simply make it work once it's done! :rollin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:13 pm • # 15 

I've not fished any of the newer Sage rods, but have a few of the older models and really love them.

I've got a SPL 282 that apparently was made for me...it's an absolute extension of my arm.

Besides the 282, got a SPL 379, and two Light lines...379 and 380.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply