It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:22 pm • # 1 

Took the time to do a little bit of maintenance, cleaned up the rods, reels, fly lines while we have nasty winter weather!

Washed the cork grips which had years of Crud on them, they cleaned up nice and are look awesome… Almost like new!

Washed and wipe down complete rods and than applied a coat of wax to them and polished up! Shiny!

Rinsed the reels, cleaned fly lines and dressed them. Pull the spools, added light coat of grease to innards! Smooth and ready to catch the Big One!

Life is Good and Waiting on the thaw!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

Post subject: Re: Maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:05 am • # 2 

Image[/url]

I heard people up north make fires inside their homes! Is this true?

I didn't see what the groundhog predicted, but here's hoping you'll be able to dirty up that cork soon!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:47 am • # 3 

Thanks for the maintenance reminder, bud. Every winter I spend hours in the loft tying flies I already have enough of, and then scramble at the last minute to get the gear ready when the ice finally goes out. Never heard of waxing fly rods. Is this a fairly common practice?
brent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:57 pm • # 4 

-23 this morning…still plenty of time until anything thaws around here lol!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:21 am • # 5 

strummer wrote:
Image[/url]

I heard people up north make fires inside their homes! Is this true?

I didn't see what the groundhog predicted, but here's hoping you'll be able to dirty up that cork soon!

Some do have fireplaces and wood stoves in their house and also the new boiler style outdoor wood burner, but not me. We (wife and I) live in a development by the rail road tracks, which has the natural gas pipe line running along side of it from one end of the state to the other end. We have a natural gas heater to warm us!

Mr. Groundhog prediction is not good with six more weeks of winter or nasty weather? We’ll get get some warming weather in there too, enough to get the gills and greenies fired up in the shallower retention ponds! Than it’s time to get the slime on the corks! :eek

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:42 am • # 6 

Gill guy: Haha. Nice for you - heat at the flick of a switch! Sitting by my woodstove as we speak, enjoying my coffee and looking out at the -22C frozen white landscape. Where I live, wood is plentiful and natural gas is scarce, so....Keep us posted on your early season adventures - the earlier the better!
brent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:10 am • # 7 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Thanks for the maintenance reminder, bud. Every winter I spend hours in the loft tying flies I already have enough of, and then scramble at the last minute to get the gear ready when the ice finally goes out. Never heard of waxing fly rods. Is this a fairly common practice?
brent

Yep, I am the same about waiting at the last minute for taking care of gear too, but was motivated or moved to get it done!

I am not sure if others wax their rods, but I do occasionally! I think it’s a carryover from my younger years. I waxed my Bear recurve bow and wood arrows often. My yellow fiberglass Eagle Claw fishing rod, and do add wax to my carbon fiber crossbow arrows, makes it easier to pull out of the target. Interesting Topic and not sure if it has any ill effects ?

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:34 am • # 8 

Brent, I've been waxing my rods for years. I've always heard it helps them to last longer. I don't know if that's true but the women sure are impressed by them looking nice and shiny like my bald head.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:49 am • # 9 

Monolithic wrote:
-23 this morning…still plenty of time until anything thaws around here lol!

My son is a Soldier and station close to Fairbanks Alaska. He talks about the minus temperatures. The coldest I think I have ever been, was in Korean, but I don’t believe it was in the minuses?

Where are you located with the minus degree numbers?

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:15 pm • # 10 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Brent, I've been waxing my rods for years. I've always heard it helps them to last longer. I don't know if that's true but the women sure are impressed by them looking nice and shiny like my bald head.

:lol You've left me so many obvious openings, I strongly suspect a trap!
brent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:27 pm • # 11 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

:lol You've left me so many obvious openings, I strongly suspect a trap!
brent

Brent,

We’ll let you reply to Cliff… “ He is like a box of chocolate… you never know what the reply will be”

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:15 am • # 12 

The Gill Guy wrote:
Brent,

We’ll let you reply to Cliff… “ He is like a box of chocolate… you never know what the reply will be”

Enjoy and Be Safe!

:lol :lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:14 am • # 13 

This site would be dead if it wasn't for me. I sure do liven it up!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:18 am • # 14 

Nasty puns aside; what kind of, or rather what brand of wax are you using on those fly rods? M.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:51 am • # 15 

Fishnmack wrote:
Nasty puns aside; what kind of, or rather what brand of wax are you using on those fly rods? M.

M.

It’s a automotive wax with carnauba in the wax which I believe I got from auto zone. If the wax dries and starts to break up and crumble in the container/tin, just put it in a pot with water and heat on the stove and it will melt back together and settle for use again. In the pass I have also just used regular turtle auto wax! Nothing special.

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:46 pm • # 16 

I use lemon pledge, just spray a small amount onto a clean cloth and wipe down the rods when I remember. They clean up very nice and I suspect the wax makes them easier to clean in the future, certainly seems that grime doesn't stick to them as well.

And yes, apparently folks with limited sense live in the north country year round. 0F outside when I woke up this morning. Doing the farm chores will take twice as long because no equipment will wish to operate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:41 am • # 17 

Yes, Ika, but you people in Idaho sure grow great potatoes!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:24 pm • # 18 

1ka: The winters and the blackflies are worth it for the role they play in giving us angling elbow room.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:15 pm • # 19 

Is fly fishing allowed on Florida? Ain't never gonna find me in that lunatic state! Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:26 am • # 20 

juji99 wrote:
Is fly fishing allowed on Florida? Ain't never gonna find me in that lunatic state! Cheers,Chet

You'll have to make it down, or up, or whatever and find out! I'll take you to the only place in the country where you can get peacock bass! Bring a fly rod just in case!

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply