It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:51 pm • # 1 

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Rio Creek (WF) and/or Rio Lightline (DT)?

I recently ordered a custom built 8' 1wt (because clearly I need another rod) and now I find myself shopping for line. The rod is graphite, but with a slower option and sounds as if it is a true 1 wt (feels overloaded with 2wt line per the builder). Due to the slower action, I think I'm leaning towards the Lightline (DT), but I'd love to hear from anyone that has experience with either option.

Thanks in advance
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:48 pm • # 2 

I don't have the Creek but I have one of its predecessors (PocketWater). Those short WF lines are meant for close-quarters shooting with faster action rods - I find the PocketWater good for a rod length or two of line but it kind of sucks for mending or rollcasting any further than that. It's pretty good on a 082 ONE, pretty awful on a 7'6" J. Green Native Trout 1wt.

IMHO, get both, and if you don't like the Creek I'll buy it from you. Really. I could be talked in to taking a 1wt DT too cuz most of my UL lines are on the older side.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:27 am • # 3 

toothybugs wrote:
I don't have the Creek but I have one of its predecessors (PocketWater). Those short WF lines are meant for close-quarters shooting with faster action rods - I find the PocketWater good for a rod length or two of line but it kind of sucks for mending or rollcasting any further than that. It's pretty good on a 082 ONE, pretty awful on a 7'6" J. Green Native Trout 1wt.

IMHO, get both, and if you don't like the Creek I'll buy it from you. Really. I could be talked in to taking a 1wt DT too cuz most of my UL lines are on the older side.

Appreciate the input, and both lines isn't a bad idea. I'll let you know if I end up going that route.

Thank you
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:09 pm • # 4 

Just as a follow up, I ended up going with the Rio Lightline (DT).

Rod casts extremely well with it, though I was a bit hampered by wind gusts in the 10-15+ mph range. At points when the wind allowed though, I was easily able to put out 30-45 ft of line with ease. It also did fairly well in close.

Unfortunately, the fish were not interested in any of my offerings, so seeing how the rod and line play fish will have to wait for another day.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:13 pm • # 5 

The fish don't care what weight line,LOL Chet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:36 am • # 6 

The Rio Light lines are true to grain weight.
The Creeks are one size heavy-
My Creek 0wt is 66 grains over the 1st 30 feet which makes it at the top end of 1wt on the scale.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply