It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2, 3, or 4 piece Q
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:47 pm • # 1 

Hello all
Being new to fly fishing, I was wondering what is the difference between a 2, 3, or 4 piece fly rod. Is there an advantage of one over the other. Yes I am already thinking of getting a second rod :applause

Rick

Post subject: Re: 2, 3, or 4 piece Q
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:21 am • # 2 

For me, the main advantage of 3 and 4 piece rods is portability, and not much else. Especially when hiking into more remote waters. I believe casters more competent than I, can get better performance out of a good 2-piece. Oh, one other advantage: stealth. I have a multi-piece 6' one weight that I can slip up my long sleeve (reel and fly box in pockets). It allows me to casually walk down to a couple of unassuming pools across from my house without arousing the interest of passers-by.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:27 am • # 3 

The more sections there are to the fly rod the more chances there are for it to break at the ferrules. Thus the manufacturers get more chances to charge you for repairs or sell you new rods.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:21 pm • # 4 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
The more sections there are to the fly rod the more chances there are for it to break at the ferrules. Thus the manufacturers get more chances to charge you for repairs or sell you new rods.

Geez, Cliff! You're getting awfully cynical in your old age. Whatever happened to that happy-go-lucky optimist I've grown to know and, well, be somewhat fond of? :lol :lol :lol
brent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:36 am • # 5 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

Geez, Cliff! You're getting awfully cynical in your old age. Whatever happened to that happy-go-lucky optimist I've grown to know and, well, be somewhat fond of? :lol :lol :lol
brent

He got old. I realized after watching the Super Bowl halftime show (I saw at least 90 seconds of it before I muted it and put it in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) how old I must be because I didn't relate to anything in that "show??" That's the first Super Bowl I've watched in over 30 years, and the only reason I watched it was because of Joe Burrow, the Cincinnati quarterback, who led my LSU Tigers to the greatest season in college football history.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:18 pm • # 6 

Thanks for this info.. so I really should not worry to much about it or look for a 2 piece Fenwick. Yes I really do want to get one eventually :-).

I only saw the last 5 minutes of the super bowl, not into halftime anymore and watch the commercials on the computer. Not old but…….

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:38 pm • # 7 

I reeled in the line on my 4 pc. Z-Axis and walked a trail back to the car. When I got there, I discovered it became a 3 pc.. I was able to get a replacement section, but it wasn't cheap. The very day I took that rebuilt rod to fish, I found the lost section laying on the trail. Yes, I did spend an hour looking for it before I gave up.

I like 4 piece rods because they're easy to transport. I prefer 2 pc. rods because there's less for me to lose!

That's the only disadvantage I've found, and that really just boils down to carelessness. It seems like everything offered these days are 4 piece. Don't worry. Over time, your second rod will be replaced by that fifth rod... If you get suckered into building your own, you're gonna have waaaaaaay more than two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pm • # 8 

I tend not to use tubes much so I think I'd probably break more 2pc rods than 4pc (while broken down vs put together). The 4s stow easier, and there are more large sections to reinforce the smaller ones to make it harder to snap. I haven't bought a 2pc in 30yrs and even 3pcs is a pain to me. I have built a few 3s and sold all but the shortest ones since they're tolerable. I built a 7pc graphite and it's very nice casting. I stick that one straight into my pack, surrounded by other gear, and it would take a lot to break it with all those short sections. The performance is mostly a non issue in my opinion, but I'm sure there's some loss of feel as the # of pieces increases.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:20 pm • # 9 

It’s easier to hide 4 piece rods from the wife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 am • # 10 

First,the super bowl halftime was way cooler than many past halftimes.I went back to look at The Who show,sad.And The Who used to be the greatest.At age 69,I have some experience.
As for rod pieces,4 piece are for portability,3 and 2 piece rods are the best casters, in my opinion. They just seem to be more fluid and hold their flex for a few more milliseconds to complete the cast with consistency and feel, especially on the lower weighted rods,1,2,3 and 4, which is what I primarily fish. Similar rods in 4 piece just seem a bit more floppy.Then again that may be just another of life's illusions. Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:15 pm • # 11 

I have 2,3 and 4 piece rods. I like being able to assembly the 2 piece quicker when I only have a few min to fish.
If there is a difference in performance, I am not good enough to discern it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:24 am • # 12 

JimRed wrote:
If there is a difference in performance, I am not good enough to discern it.

Me too.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply