It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Battenkill Disc vs Fly
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 am • # 1 

Good day all
Been reading and studying for my next reel. Moving up from an Echo Base. Looking at the Battenkill group. I understand the Battenkill Fly reel does not have a drag and the disc does. This will be for my 3wt rod and eventually for my 2wt. I know that everyone as opinions, but is there a major difference between a drag reel vs the draggles/palm drag besides learning how much palm to put into it.
And yes I have caught some nice, for me, trout on my echo. My first one I was pumped and smiling from ear to ear.

thanks
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:02 pm • # 2 

Of course this is just my opinion. I have 5 rod outfits at the moment 1-5wts. I have Orvis CFO (Abel) click pawl reel on my 1 and 2wts. They are small arbor reels so a lot of backing is required to prevent the little coils in the fly line. If they weren’t so **** nice I would have a redington zero, which is a light weight reel with a large arbor. On my 3 and 4 wts I Have a Or is Hydros SL I and II. They are 8 1/2’ each and the small SL balance them really well. On my 5wt I have the Same SL but in a III. That balances it well. Now for my opinion. Go with what you like. Can’t go wrong with either one. For me, I choose what balances my rod well with 10’ of fly line out the rod tip. Drag is nice, but in the 44 years of fly fishing for panfish to salmon and stealhead, strippers, carp etc. I’ve caught som big fish and can honestly been put on the reel less than a dozen times.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:08 pm • # 3 

This is super subjective, but I tend to use overly heavy reels (e.g. 5/6 wt reels on 1wts and 2wts) to counterbalance the rod the way I like and to coil the fly line less due to the larger diameter. They are also much more readily commercially available than ultralight reels as they are less of a specialty item.

You definitely don't need a disc drag. But they're nice. Lets you more easily use your second hand to net or handle the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:28 pm • # 4 

Having had springs break on click/ pawl reels before, I take offense to saying clicker reels have no drag :) It's a drag system, but significantly more simplified than a disc system.

It's all preference. I have some truly fine clickers and some truly fine disc reels. There are instances where a disc is practically a requirement (pretty much all saltwater) but there are plenty of places where it's only nice - think steelhead, carp, and even Trico fishing since most discs can be backed off lighter than clickers to protect ultrafine 6-7-8x tippets. Lots of steelheaders fish with big click reels.

I really like the current generation of Battenkill clickers. I have a I on my Superfine 1wt and it's delightful. There are also large arbor clickers if you are so inclined but they aren't very cheap. A Danielsson Midge is a good way to go, or Sage has a few nice UL LA clickers too.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:25 am • # 5 

I have a 5/6 weight 25 year old Battenkill that is one of my nicer freshwater reels and I do not feel it is lacking at all. A buddy of mine has and loves his same vintage 3/4 disk Battenkill and he has a number of nicer high-end reels and still breaks that one out for his light line fishing.

I just picked up a early 2000's Cabela's Drake 1 reel for $25 + shipping on Ebay. It is a very nice inexpensive little reel. The only complaint I have researched on them is you have to be careful with the drag know coming off. In the lighter line weights 3-4 I don't usually play fish on the reel, but strip the fish in, so drag to me is more to prevent line backlash when stripping line of the reel. You may find a bargain on Ebay if you are a little patient and don't get in a bidding frenzy as the auction closes.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply