It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:42 pm • # 1 

Most of the ul rods seem to be 6 to 7.5 feet except of course for the euro nymph rods which are 10-11 ft.

Has anyone used longer ul rods 8.5-9 ft or even beyond for classic fly fishing (dry fly, indicator nymphing)? I'm not talking tight line/euro nymphing stuff of course which many do these days but classic casting fly fishing?

So anyone using longer UL rods for dry fly fishing or classic indicator nymphing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:16 am • # 2 

I stuck the butt of a 7'6" 2wt in the butt of a 7'6" 0wt to make a 9'4" ~00wt. It makes my ESN 2100 feel like a club.

Still need to finish building it tho.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:26 pm • # 3 

I use a 9' 3wt on occasion and often with very light lines. Works nicely and has some advantages for mending and fish fighting which are minimal in shorter lengths of rod.

In summary, shorter rods feel more UL, the longer sticks have a bit of an edge in fishing utility. I don't own a "euro" specific rod, but many folks who do also rave about it's versatility for dry fly fishing and other non-EN techniques.

One of those potential purchases where you really can't go wrong as such a rod will find great use somewhere in your endeavors. Longer rods certainly have an advantage in indicator use just by virtue of potential leader length possible. It's the Achilles heel of short rod use where the deeper drifts are just not that practical and landing fish on long leaders/short stick is more complicated.

A 10' rod in the 0-2 weight rating would be a very fishy implement even if it comes at a heavier overall weight. It could handle a very long/light leader and be incredibly sneaky on low water streams or spooky fish. Reckon the roll casting would be more than impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:04 pm • # 4 

I should have been more specific yesterday. Sorry, recovering from a wicked bug from the weekend.

Historically I have been a big fan of rods like a 286 XP, 389 SLT, and 390 SP for general trout fishing. Mainly for either dapping purposes on tiny brushy farm creeks or line control on bigger water. I've been especially happy with how my 2100 ESN will do single-hand spey stuff with a DT2 and 12-13 foot leader while tossing soft hackles. Put a WF2 on it instead and it'll cover a lot of distance for panfish out of a canoe, off a dock, or from shore (especially if line clearance is an issue).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:10 pm • # 5 

8 1/2’ TFO PRO II 3wt is pretty nice for all around use. In my honest opinion it cast a 4wt line better then the 3wt, but it does just about everything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:29 am • # 6 

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about building myself a 2wt.

I already have a 6' 1wt and a 7'6 3wt, what length would you go for? I'm thinking between 8'6 and 9 ft or Maybe even something in between like 8 3/4.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:29 am • # 7 

Dominikk85 wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm thinking about building myself a 2wt.

I already have a 6' 1wt and a 7'6 3wt, what length would you go for? I'm thinking between 8'6 and 9 ft or Maybe even something in between like 8 3/4.

Depends and it's totally personal. What are you wanting it to do, and what kind of space are you expecting to have available? If you have an overhead canopy most of the time I wouldn't go over 9 foot, preferably 8'6" but if you are planning to do a lot of roll casting, single-hand spey stuff/ swinging, or covering long stretches of water, then you would appreciate a 9-10 footer. Shorter rods are going to be more accurate but longer rods give you mending ability.

MHX has a 290 blank, btw.

My VERY personal choice is to simply overwhelm oneself with weight, length, and action options so you can never question your choices :P Seriously don't ask me how many rods I have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:07 pm • # 8 

I purchased a 9' 2wt Echo Dry a couple years back. Loved that rod. Sadly, I snapped the tip and could not get a replacement as it had been discontinued. It was a great rod if you can find it though.

While I know the extra length can be a detriment if fishing smaller streams, I've found it to be a benefit when fishing local ponds. The edges of such ponds are often overgrown, and that extra length helps me cast over bank side vegetation without constantly getting snagged in it. The 8' 1wt I recently purchased has been used for largely the same purpose, though I do miss that extra 12" the Echo Dry offered.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:02 pm • # 9 

mbarker68x wrote:
8 1/2’ TFO PRO II 3wt is pretty nice for all around use. In my honest opinion it cast a 4wt line better then the 3wt, but it does just about everything.

T’were me adding to such a quiver, I’d shoot for a blank in the 9’-10’ range. Reason being once you get into the longer length, you’re kinda adding butt weight and might as well get the reachiness out of the rig. A 2wt of length is not going to feel like you think a 2wt feels (in shorter rods). While it’s heft may feel sorta 4wt-ish, you get the loading and flex dynamics of a 2wt and over a longer rod stroke range.

In short, you can do some very cool stuff with such a rig be it mending or slinging very light fly lines a long way. Comp nymph/low diameter lines become quite flycastable with such rods. If it’s about rounding out utility, you already have the shorter side covered nicely so way different is better IMO.

They make more of these long/light blanks now than ever before so you could likely find a gem if willing to spend. Once upon a time, it was near impossible to find blanks in the 3wt/9’ range. ESN trend sure changed that for the better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:28 am • # 10 

I’m using a Sage MOD 9ft 2wt and love it!
Standard nymphing with a flyline or Euro style,its very nice indeed.
I have also picked up a Sage SLT 389-4 and will use it for dryfly this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:35 am • # 11 

Made myself an 8'9 2wt from a 10 ft blank. Obviously not ideal from the carrying length when closed but I didn't want to spend too much and try out a longer ul rod.

Wrappings could get better though, but I will see how it fishes.

Rod weighs 63 grams as I gave it a real light reel seat but blank obviously is not super light

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:49 am • # 12 

What blank did you go with?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:48 am • # 13 

Went with this china set
€ 57,46 39%OFF | NooNRoo IM10 IM12 Carbon fly fishing rod 4 sections in the trout fish Bulk assembly kit Super Light Fast Action Fishing Rod
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vSnfq1

But went with a lighter reel seat and single foot guides so I saved about 20 grams overall or so on the rod

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:15 pm • # 14 

Pretty neat idea for a build there, I like it!

Wouldn't worry about weight. Honestly, for all the hype about keeping it as light as possible, the whole lightness thing is kinda overblown in flyrods. Trust me, I've been too light on rod builds and had to spend up considerably to get a reel light enough to not be butt heavy. Great justification for a nifty new reel (or two), but still... :eek

On wraps? Don't sweat minor imperfections and look for structural integrity. Can't say I ever gave a flip about it (aesthetics) once the rod started getting fished. Fishing crud is a beautiful camouflage for little imperfections anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:47 am • # 15 

Thanks, yeah I think it won't affect the fishing too much. I think the rod will be a nice complement to my 6 1wt and 7'6 3wt.

I also added a single foot guide at the bottom of the reelseat as a hook keeper, I always thought having that extra foot of length is good so you don't have to reel the junction into the tip guide with longer leaders.

Although that is a rather unimportant detail. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:20 pm • # 16 

The now discontinued Orvis Superfine Carbon 8ft 2wt is an outstanding general purpose UL rod. My other 2wt is an Orvis One Ounce, which is 6.5ft, and therefore a specialty rod that I don’t tend to fish much. I have an Orvis One Weight (Superfine 7.5ft). Great rod, but if it was three to six inches longer, I wouldn’t complain. My really short rods (3’11”-5’9”) are 3-4wt bamboo, which actually suits the step-over trickles and leader-only casts I use them for. There ought to be a relatively active market for 8-9ft 1 and 2wt carbon fiber rods, but not many are out there these days.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:08 pm • # 17 

Dominikk85 wrote:
I also added a single foot guide at the bottom of the reelseat as a hook keeper, I always thought having that extra foot of length is good so you don't have to reel the junction into the tip guide with longer leaders.

Although that is a rather unimportant detail. :)

Not to me, man. I hate the squiggly little pigtails that occur in leader butts when they bend around the tip because the location of hook keepers is always too high up the rod. Most of the time I simply loop around the reel, double back, and hook on the stripper leg. It’s overkill, but it keeps the leader out of the rod when wandering about.

Y’know, it’s a real issue on shorter rods with matching leader lengths and requires solutions. Still don’t get the traditional location of hook keepers, but then I don’t get a lot of things about traditions.
Cross Creek wrote:
My really short rods (3’11”-5’9”) are 3-4wt bamboo, which actually suits the step-over trickles and leader-only casts I use them for.

A 3'11"? Dang! Almost like putting a reel on yer pecker. :lol

Gotta be a trip to fish with, though. Good "crouching" rod for banks or for areas where you can creep about in riffles and pocket water. I fished out a day on a busted rod recently, it opened my mind to a few things and even dispelled some beliefs I had about short rod utility. One you know how to flycast, they're all a great pleasure to play with.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:06 pm • # 18 

Guideline LPs, dry and nymphing, but still a nice action for fishing a regular dry.

https://www.guidelineflyfish.com/lps/10 ... o-nymphing

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply