It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:05 am • # 1 

Hey guys,

I'm currently debating parting with my 7'9" Orvis Silver Label 2wt (Full Flex). It rarely gets use these days, and I have a friend moving back to CO that is potentially interested in it as a small water rod. He's asking if I have any further info on it. As the rod is over 20 years old at this point, my recollections have faded, and the internet hasn't helped fill in the gaps. Any chance, someone here remembers anything about these rods? Specifically which blank Orvis utilized for this model?

Any help would be appreciated. Or feel free to talk me out of potentially selling. It won't take much.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:44 pm • # 2 

The Silver Label rods used the same blanks as their Superfine counterparts. They had different color wraps, heavier reel seats, differently-shaped cork (usually standard cigar instead of Superfine), and less expensive rod cases. There would be virtually no difference in use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:31 pm • # 3 

Cross Creek wrote:
The Silver Label rods used the same blanks as their Superfine counterparts. They had different color wraps, heavier reel seats, differently-shaped cork (usually standard cigar instead of Superfine), and less expensive rod cases. There would be virtually no difference in use.

Thanks. I had told him that I thought it was built on the Superfine blank, but wasn't 100% certain.

I'm still flip flopping on whether or not to sell. He'll definitely put it to good use, but I do enjoy having it along on the occasional trip to the Smoky Mountains.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:33 pm • # 4 

Funny thing .I was just throwing my Silver Label 7'9" 3wt in the backyard. It is a sweet rod. Only dfference is the hardware and different colr wraps from a Superfine! t can throw a 2,3 , 4wt line! Nice medium action!Similar to The "Tippet" and the Sage 379 LL. Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:09 am • # 5 

I have one and have done some recent website searches and the Silver Label was just a more mid-priced rod using good components, but cosmetically less flashy. I have a 8'6" 5wt 9.5 tip flex I never really used from 25 years ago and I believe it was the same blank as the Trident line without the special anti-vibration BS in the handle area.

Nice light rod, but a bit too-fast for my tastes as I prefer a more moderate flex rod. Don't know if you have sold your rod to your buddy, but I would hold onto that rod for the occasional Smokey trip. That would be a wonderful rod for small water and the fish you would find there.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:44 am • # 6 

labrax wrote:
Don't know if you have sold your rod to your buddy, but I would hold onto that rod for the occasional Smokey trip. That would be a wonderful rod for small water and the fish you would find there.

I ended up holding on to it. Just couldn't part with it.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:50 am • # 7 

Good idea Chris!It is a very nice rod. Now go out and fish it. Cheers,Chet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 pm • # 8 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
labrax wrote:
Don't know if you have sold your rod to your buddy, but I would hold onto that rod for the occasional Smokey trip. That would be a wonderful rod for small water and the fish you would find there.

I ended up holding on to it. Just couldn't part with it.

Chris

I highly approve! I moved a few months ago and while I was cleaning out the garage I found an Orvis Silver Label tip flex 9' 6 wt that I didn't even realize I had!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply