It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:53 pm • # 1 

A few years ago now, I bought an Avon 2" reel with the intention to put it on a 0 or 1 wt rod. I finally got around to buying a Reddington Butterstick 5'9" 1 wt at a discount to put the tiny Avon on. I've joined the forum to ask some specific questions on reel set-up. Through reading this forum, I know that I need to cut my DT 1F line in half, but I've also read I can fit some backing on as well. I also learned that some recommend using a 30 lb backing as it will actually cast if you get that deep into the reel.

My questions are as follows:

1. How much backing will fit with a DT 1F line cut in half (If I use 20lb or 30 lb)?
2. Does anyone have a preference for 20 or 30 lb backing and why?
3. The reel feels to me that it came set up for a RH retrieve, with the retrieve just SLIGHTLY lighter than the pull. How do I change the retrieve hand, it does not seem to be intuitive to me?

Thanks in advance for your advice, seems like quite a few of you have these reels and are more knowledgeable than I.

Fish well,
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:13 pm • # 2 

Welcome to the forum Matt!

From everything available and readable, the JA Forbes Avon reels are a JW Young design with the parts made by Young and assembled by Forbes. Judging from photographs that I found of Avon reels, they are mechanically similar to Young Condex reels and are not easily reversible.

It’s pretty simple but rather time consuming to find out how much backing it will take, but here’s how I’ve done it on some reels. First, put your half a DT line on the reel by somehow tying the tip to the arbor. Next, connect your backing to the fat end of your newly made short single taper line. Run on backing until the spool is satisfactorily filled.

Then, wind the backing and the line onto another reel, a bottle, or whatever. Next, connect the tip of the line to yet another reel or bottle and put the line and backing on it. Finally, you can connect the backing onto the arbor of your little Forbes reel and put the backing and line onto it in the correct order. Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:21 pm • # 3 

Pampas Pete,

Thanks for the advice, I can definitely try that, seems pretty straight forward. I guess I've just gotten lazy when manufacturers provide those magic numbers for their reels.

I'll give it a go!

Fish well,
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:38 am • # 4 

PampasPete wrote:
Welcome to the forum Matt!
First, put your half a DT line on the reel by somehow tying the tip to the arbor

I use a piece of masking tape.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply