It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Titanium bite tippets?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:25 pm • # 1 

Well, to begin with my upbringing was pretty much as a trout fisherman, of course also occasionally fishing for other species such as panfish, bass, walleyes, northern pike, etc. For that reason thick diameter wire bite tippets have always seemed quite strange to me. Alas, some very toothy fishy critters have been moving into my neighborhood so I'm rethinking my viewpoint regarding wire leaders. It has recently become obvious that a newer material called titanium is being used for bite tippets. It appears to be advantageous by having a diameter for a given supposed breaking strength similar to that of nylon monofilament. It is therefore much thinner than nylon-coated multifilament wire. I have even gone so far as to order some in 6# test and 0.25 mm. diameter, which may eventually find its way into my post office box. In the meantime, I was just wondering whether any of you has had any hands-on experience with titanium bite tippet or leader material or thoughts about the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:46 pm • # 2 

I've only used the Rio PowerFlex Wire Bite Tippet for barracuda. Works great, and knots directly to the fly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:41 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the reply. From the description Rio PowerFlex Wire Bite Tippet is knottable, multi-strand steel with a nylon coating. My quest is exactly about how to find an alternative to that type of material because it is so thick it seems unsuitable for UL usage. I have some of that type of bite tippet material. It measures out at 0.40 mm. (016") and is rated at 5# test, which seems questionable to me. On the other hand, the titanium stuff that is on its way is rated at 6# test, but it is 0.25 mm. thick, which is .010" or 1X. There is also some titanium leader material that is rated a 4# test, but it is only 0.20 mm. (.008") thick, which is equivalent to 3X. Has anybody else felt a need to find a good alternative for bite tippets that is suitable for UL fly-fishing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:37 pm • # 4 

PampasPete wrote:
Has anybody else felt a need to find a good alternative for bite tippets that is suitable for UL fly-fishing?

Yeah, it would be nice for gars and smaller flies. I have various forms of Surflon, but it's kinda think and mostly used for weed guards on flies. Sounds like what you speak of is similar to American Fishing Wire single strand titanium (Tooth Proof) and might work quite well.

https://www.afwfishing.com/afw_products/Titanium_Tooth_Proof.asp

Rather expensive per 15'. However, if it works well and does basic knots decently this could be a solution. To me, the # test is probably not so important if the abrasion resistance is there. While 10lb/5kg might seem light on bigger fish, many fly hooks bend straight at far less than those forces. So it's not that 10lb anything breaks that easily, it's the nicks, cuts or scrapes which cause it to break at far less than 10 lb.

Gars turn 10lb fluoro into 3lb with a good headshake or two for their's is a long, raspy maw. :eek

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply