It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:18 pm • # 1 

Looking to make UL set up. Decided to go with 6’6” 3 weight St. Croix Mojo Trout Fly Rod and Battenkill reel.
Having trouble finding right line. As I will not be casting far and catching primary pan fish and some small natives or stocked trout. I have seen shorter lengths of line. WF 45’ 60’ 75’ & 90’. Was wondering what line length is going to work best. I am intermediate level fly fisherman

Also what do you think about rod and reel. Trying to stay under $400 for the 2. This rod will only get used few years use as I’m being eaten up by cancer fast. Looking to just have fun hooking fish and exciting fight. Size doesn’t matter. My brother is going to do same rig.as me so we can do it together. Thanks Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:28 pm • # 2 

Rod & reel came today. Any buddy have any input on line for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 pm • # 3 

With out having cast the rod myself I would say a good 4wt line. The extra weight will help load the rod for shorter casts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:07 pm • # 4 

As far as lengths go, I'd probably stay on the longer side. Go 90'.

That set up sounds perfect for what you're doing. Personally, I don't spend much on my UL reels. They're there to hold line. That Battenkill, though, is a great reel.

Lastly, I hope you'll get more than a few years of time with it. Stay strong! Will mention you in my prayers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:43 pm • # 5 

strummer wrote:

That set up sounds perfect for what you're doing. Personally, I don't spend much on my UL reels. They're there to hold line. That Battenkill, though, is a great reel.

Lastly, I hope you'll get more than a few years of time with it. Stay strong! Will mention you in my prayers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:40 am • # 6 

strummer wrote:

Thank you for the prayers. I’m gunna neeed them. Going home today and go thru all my gear. Have been this excited to go fishing in long time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:47 am • # 7 

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:12 am • # 8 

There are lines designed for short casts, sometimes called “creek” lines. Rio even makes one by that name. Barrio calls his “Smallstream.” The usual design of such lines is a shorter but thicker than standard head (standard length being 30 feet). For instance, a Barrio Smallstream WF3 I have has a head that’s the diameter of a 4wt, but shorter (~25ft), so the entire head weighs ~100 grains, which would make it a 3wt. You can accomplish the same thing by simply fishing your rod with a 4wt line. If your casts are short, the length of the line is unimportant. I typically cut most of my lines to 45-50ft, since I never cast more than about 40 ft in actual fishing. I cut double taper lines in half, which usually makes two 45ft lines, one to fish and one spare.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply