It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:03 pm • # 1 

I was making up some leaders for a couple of 1 wt rods when I noticed a distinct difference in line diameters between the Maxcatch line and a higher end line (can’t remember what brand).
When I purchased the Maxcatch 1 weight package they sent 2 lines, one labeled a 1 wt, the other a 2 wt. I had spooled the 1 wt and found it acceptable, especially at longer line lengths.
I thought it might be interesting to weigh the lines as a way of comparing them. The results were interesting.
The high end line came in at 63.8 grains, pretty well bang on for a 1 wt.
The Maxcatch 1 wt weighed 38.0 grains, close to 000 wt numbers while the 2 wt came in at 96.2 grains, firmly in 3 wt territory.
Harry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:57 pm • # 2 

Harry, those are some interesting findings in a strange way. It's not so surprising that the Maxcatch "2-weight" line would be practically one weight heavy, especially if it were a WF that is "a half-weight heavy" as the current marketing lingo goes. But it is quite surprising that the "1-weight" would actually be only 38 grains. That would almost seem the right weight for the level running line on a 1-weight WF. Are these lines douple taper or weight forward? It seems that, at the very least, Maxcatch may be experiencing some quality control issues...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:57 pm • # 3 

Your comment about this being the weight of a 1 wt running line naturally got me thinking the line may have been reversed. Fast forward and the first thirty feet now weighs in at 58.6 grains and the line casts like a dream. So either Maxcatch put their “this end to reel” label on the wrong end or this elderly angler had a massive brain fart. Either is certainly possible. Too bad your enlightening comment hadn’t come a bit earlier, it would have saved me $40 on the 1 wt line I ordered from Britain.
Harry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 pm • # 4 

I recently bought line wt 2,3,4 and 5 from maxcatch. 3,4 and 5 wts were in their range but the 2wt line was the weight of a 3, just like
free to fish. I am buying the cheapest, without the loop. So far I am liking the lines...hopefully they will hold up.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply