It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:09 pm • # 1 

In the picture below, I use an Angler's Image Line Winder & ZipCast on my lines. I have shortened the line length in the picture to best illustrate my method. If you look closely, you can see that after I have spooled my line on the winder, I "loop" the line OUTSIDE one of the winder's "arms" to essentially lock the line in place & apply the ZipCast with 2x2 cotton gun cleaning patches to a taught line. After treating that section of line (usually 2-3 feet), I reel to within a couple inches, "unloop" the line, pull 2-3 more feet out, "loop" it on the arm to lock it again, & treat that section, repeating until the entire line is treated. No repititious washing, drying, treating, etc, etc.....it is all "one step easy"! It's pretty darn fast too.

Any questions, just ask. BTW, when 1 side of the patch gets too soiled, just flip it over. I sometimes can treat 2 lines with one patch.
Mikey

Last edited by ohiotuber on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Mikey,
How does this stuff compare with other products Like SA fly line dressing or Renzetti Master cast?
Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:19 am • # 3 
Administrator

The stuff works, I've been at Mikey's house while he was cleaning lines before we headed out to a pond. I've also cast and fished Mikey's 3wt, and the line on it is old and beat up, but after a treatment with zip cast the line feels like new.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:47 am • # 4 

I will be getting some of that stuff once my current shtuff is gone. I cannot complain about the current stuff, however, I do need to seal the end of my line to keep it afloat!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:16 am • # 5 
Administrator

Andy,
For me tip sink was created by water wicking in the core at the tip primarily on on Cortland ten meter line. My solution was to use knot sense and it seems to have worked. here's and article on the stuff:
http://www.westfly.com/fe...icle/0602/feature_881.php
I wonder if there are other ways to solve tip sinking?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am • # 6 

I am going to need some Knot Sense this winter to treat all of my lines.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm • # 7 

keebranch wrote:
Mikey,
How does this stuff compare with other products Like SA fly line dressing or Renzetti Master cast?
Les

Les,
It's fantastic. No separate washing & treating. Just a pass with the ZipCast cleans & treats the line. Since it is Teflon based rather than silicone, it doesn't get sticky or gummy. You DO need to use the ZipCast often, after every couple trips. I use it after every trip, but it's fast & you use so darn little of the stuff! I had used SA stuff, Glide, etc (not the Renzetti) & I much prefer the ZipCast.....BTW, I do sell ZipCast if anyone needs it. Jerry Brumfield (Fly Reel Dots) is a very close friend & I sell it for Jerry. He said that since I sell so much of it FOR him, that I may as well make a little doing it. My price is the same (of course) as Jerry's.
Mikey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:15 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Mikey,
PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:30 pm • # 9 

Good cleaning system. I generally just strip the line off the reel through the folded patch, then reel it back on through the folded patch. Need three hands though. Don

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:31 pm • # 10 
Administrator

All,
I tested Zip cast today on some older Orvis 3DT Wonderline which I had swapped ends and used as a back-up. It had become a little hard from lots of use and few times out I had cleaned the line before putting it away. Today the line produced filth that had not come off the previous time; as well the older end seemed to have more life in it. It's definitely slicker now. I had always been a fan of the SA product yet it nowhere approaches this product in the totality of cleaning and reinvigorating of fly lines. I look forward to trying it on several more older lines and newer ones.

Les

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply