It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:39 am • # 1 

What is your single favorite piece of tackle that you could never live without?

Mine would probably have to be my Lamson Velocity for right now. It is smooth, light and fun to use. I am kind of partial to skeleton reels however, and am looking into getting a skeleton reel that will balance my long 2wt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:54 am • # 2 
Administrator

I have no clue what my favorite piece of tackle is at this point. I'll have to think about it, and I may get back to you on that.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 am • # 3 

Image I have several but the one I keep comming back to is my WJ satchel bag.It lets me carry as much or as little gear as I want,it is comfortable all day & out of the way for casting ,fighting the fish or just walking to the stream,It will hold a water bladder for long days & has a pocket for a bottle on short days. Not a perfect bag by any means but real close for me at least
Image Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:07 am • # 4 

my favorite piece of tackle is the hook; cause without the hook, youre only casting, not catching-p-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:49 am • # 5 

I don't have a single favorite piece of tackle. I do, however, have a favorite rod, reel, bag, tying vise, line, fly box, waders, boots, sunglasses, nippers, forceps, hat, rain jacket, fishing partner, and place to fish. None of which I want to do without.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:22 am • # 6 

Doug, you just offered some perspective that I did not think of when I was making this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:54 am • # 7 
Administrator

Hmm...I must admit that I'll focus on a rod then I choose the right reel. This is the closest thing that the wife and I share- we both have trouble determining that just right ensemble. (hers are clothes and jewelry )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:55 pm • # 8 

Beyond a shadow of a doubt it is my 8' St Croix (pre IPC) Legend Ultra 3 wt (2 piece). As Jeremy knows, that rod & I are "attached at the hip"! I have other rods that I like a great deal, but that one just comes alive in my hands....just like it was made to my personal specs.
Mikey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:52 pm • # 9 

Mikey...kinda hard to fish from the hip...I have heard of shooting from the hip, but casting?

That rod is probably slower that the new LU series, and that would make it sweeter IMO!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:23 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I can't pick out one just piece of gear. I have a rod that's my favorite to cast but isn't that sensitive with a fish on. Rods that were gifts. A 5 wt that I built up with a fighting butt as a joke for my brother, which is temporarily back in my possession. This new Orvis 1 wt that is a blast to fish and is amazingly sensitive but requires a slower casting motion that's just now starting to click for me. And I'm the same way with reels--I like 'em all and couldn't pick out just one.

If I buy some piece of gear that just doesn't do it for me then I sell it off pretty quickly. Life's to short to fish with anything you don't really like, and I can't afford to have gear sitting around that I don't want to use.

I know some guys would be happy to fish with a tuna-can strapped to a curtain rod if the fish were biting and that's probably a good way to be, and these are usually the guys that can fish circles around me (not that hard to do). For myself, a large part of the pleasure comes from using finely crafted gear--not necessarily expensive--just well made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:19 am • # 11 

My F-150 without it I couldn't get to my favorite fishing destinationsImage Oh yea my sage txl 0 weight!!

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply