It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 pm • # 1 
Administrator

SKershaw had a great question, and y'all have answers:
SKershaw wrote:
Where the heck do you guys get all these reels??? Out here in Omaha I don't find them (garage sales, estate sales, etc...). I am not ebay savvy so I don't peruse that much. A classmate of mine knows I fish so her dad cleaned the garage and gave me all his old crap... a Pfleuger Progress happened to be in the mess. The spool is bent so it rubs, but I think it's a sexy, fun reel.

Guess I am looking for a cheap way to find these things besides snagging them off the wall at Famous Dave's Image

Last edited by keebranch on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:23 pm • # 2 

go here and peruse the Antique and Collectible section. You will spend hours, days, here.
http://www.bamboorods.it/link_it.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:35 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I mostly get mine on eBay,but that takes patience I like checking out "lots" with varying success. As well, I've had some good finds at antique malls and show in Bozeman MT. I can imagine Colorado would produce similar results. Keep in mind that folks on the boards will clear out reels they don't use, and often that provides an opportunity to get a deal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:42 pm • # 4 

Here's another place you can browse. If nothing else, looking at all of the different sites will give you a ballpark idea of what things sell for.

http://www.langsstore.com/

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:55 pm • # 5 

do you have something in mind and a price range as well? Many of us have reels sitting about that we will let go at a low price just so someone will fish them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm • # 6 

Rockthief wrote:
do you have something in mind and a price range as well? Many of us have reels sitting about that we will let go at a low price just so someone will fish them.

The only "vintage" reel I own was someone's trash. Now it's my treasure and it was free. I am not acquainted with the various "UL" reels and there various parings with rods, let alone know their value.

I am a financially-challenged college student, so the only budget I am on is Christmas money... as of today, the budget is $20 to $30. I definitely fit in the frugal categoryImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:14 pm • # 7 

okay. It is good to define your limits and go from there. Do you have a rod and if so, what weight (1 wt, 2 wt, 3 wt) and is it graphite or fiberglass or bamboo? We gotta get you set up here. Your PRogress - you can gently work on that bend with a couple blocks of wood and easy, slow pressure, even a bit of easy tapping to get it so it does not rub.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:34 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Good idea Paul, rehab the older stuff and see what diamonds were in the rough.
Skershaw,
Do you have any photos of your trash (treasure)?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:18 pm • # 9 

Some of the reels, you will have a choice of yardage capacities. For most 1-3wt work on shorter to midlength graphite, you can get by with a 60 yard reel, while on heavier rods, glass or boo, you would look for an 80 yard size in the Pflueger Progress. The yard sizing is stamped on the bottom of the foot right in the middle.

For a Meisselbach Featherlight, for a short 0wt rod like the Dan Craft, a 250 would be great, but for a longer, heavier rod, you can get away with a 260 (raised pillar would be AMAZING, but I am poor), 270, and for a longer 3wt, a 280-290. You can also find some Amateur and Expert models for next to nothing and experiment with them on your rods.

Ocean City 61s make a great reel for a short 1-3wt, under 6'6".

There are myriad other manufacturers of these skeleton reels, and more than I care to name of other lightweight click pawl reels. One of the ones with the most reels in this class is Martin. The Tuna Can reels are ideal for this usage. The MG-3 weighs less than 3oz, and the 60-63s all weigh just over 3oz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm • # 10 

keebranch wrote:
Good idea Paul, rehab the older stuff and see what diamonds were in the rough.
Skershaw,
Do you have any photos of your trash (treasure)?

So, good news and bad news...

Bad news is that the Progress I got, since it was bent at some point, was filed down on the housing so as not to jam up... it still rubs a bit. Pictures to come.

Good news is that I have the original box and papers with it. That's neat just for showing offImage Also, it's Christmas and I never know what Santa may bring - a fairly inexpensive 2-wt would sure be funImage

Andy, way over my head... not sure if that was English, but I sure saw a lot of names. I think I need some time away from the text books so I can catch up to speed with you guys!!! Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:10 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Ahh... a rehab possibility- beyond my capabilities, but Dr. Pearow may come to the rescue with some suggestions. It's worth a try- because as they say "nothing ventured nothing gained".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:38 pm • # 12 

Here's "one man's trash is Scott's treasure."

Here you can see where the spool was filed. I was mistake, I thought it was the housing, but it's the spool. Can't imagine it performing all the different or funky.

The foot is not stamped. Anywhere else I could look for the yard sizing (other than the original paper with the reel)?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Scott,
On your paper it states:
D = 6wt line 30 yards no backing
E = 5wt line 40 yards " "
F = 4 wt line 55 yards " "
G = 3 wt line 75 yards " "
H = 2 wt line 100 yards " "

Or you could put 85 feet of 3DTF line on and be able to add 50- 65 yards of 20# backing. There's tons of room on these.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:33 pm • # 14 

That reel is great for an 8' 3wt or so. It is a great reel for this purpose.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply