It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:01 am • # 1 

It was a nice 60 degree morning here in Dallas so I stopped by my local urban spring creek. I looped on the 5' poly with 18" of 4X tippet on a Rio PW1F line on my 1 ounce 6'10" Dan Craft Sig III rod, 2.2 ounce Dennison reel. The leader is rated as a 0-3 weight. The Dan Craft is a slow, strong 1 weight rod.

The water was off color, riffled by a slight breeze. The gray leader was almost invisible, but for the dimple where it lay in the water, so I was watching the tip of the line. I first tried a #12 big-bead nymph. It turned over well, but with a strong kick from my usual 45 degree sidearm cast. Seems the leader is very efficient in transmitting energy and I could kick the fly 90 degrees at the end of the cast, whether I wanted to or not. I can make 50' casts with the DC, and the timing of the turnover was good even at this distance.

After catching a big 'gill on the #12 I tried another fly or two and ended up with a #18 tiny beadhead gnat. This cast pretty much the same as the #12. It turned over hard for a #18. I lacked the time to build a 2 stage tippet which would doubtless have softened the landing. I did test a dry fly as the 'gills were taking only beadheads. I am sure a 2 stage tippet would have been required though.

Overall, the leader proved very good for nymphing at all distances. It has a smaller diameter butt than other leaders I have used which allows it to cut through the air efficiently. I did not treat it with Mucilin, but it floated as well as other brands even without it. I could cast it directly into the breeze and it faltered less than did the line. In fact, the only drawback [other than my inability to see it] was its tendency to lay down completely straight and to transmit excess casting energy down into the fly, creating a plop on landing even with small flies. If the butt section had used a colored thread, I would be quite content to fish the leader full time. I prefer too much energy to too little.

I will try the leader with a much lighter line, where I think it will do even better. I probably would rate this leader as best suited to 0-1 weight rods pending further trials. Don

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:50 am • # 2 

Thanks Don, and I am sure that these reviews are being watched!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm • # 3 

I fished the Hog Creek leader again this afternoon. I tested a big #10 dry tied with elk hair on the 18" tippet and was pleased to see that the fly turned over on the short tippet. Seems the extra energy was dissapated turning over the very wind resistant fly. In fact, you could watch the turnover in a sort of slow motion. Perfect. The fish, however, only wanted the big beadhead at the end of a measured 40' cast. The bead splashdown is not as noticeable at this distance. I very lightly greased the furled leader with Mucilin and the bead would not sink the butt of the leader. Again perfect. I intend to leave the leader at the end of this line. Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:00 pm • # 4 

Don,
Thanks for the reviews. I can't wait to try them out on my 1wt SPL. The weather improved substantially this afternoon and I was tempted to sneak out for a while but with a house full of company due to arrive shortly that pretty much ruled it out. Maybe next week.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:20 pm • # 5 
Administrator

All,
I decide to go out for a brief afternoon outing on Rush creek. The gear I chose was a Cabelas Clear creek one weight seven foot rod with the 4" poly Hog Creek tapered furled leader.
Photo of grey furled leader
With wet hackle fly
I was pleased with the outcome: 5 fish including a small bass caught on my wire bodied wet hackle fly. The leader turned over well and at one point I tried a few overhad casts. Under each of these conditions the leader unfurled as crisp and precise as a flag unfurles. It did not fall left or right- it reamined true and on track to place the flies where I had intended to deliver them. I rolled most casts in a pool here:
Upstream from the low water crossing:
I must say I now feel guilty for having received these two 4'0" and 5"0" as I will be buying a few more in the near future.
Here are some photos from today:
small bass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:40 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Les, we *really* need to link up to go fishing! That looks like a great spot!

And I'll be ordering some more of the Hog Creek leaders as well... I have them on my 1 wt and 0 wt and they both work beautifully!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:30 am • # 7 

Fished my 1.2 ounce 5' 6" bamboo with a .9 ounce Dennison mini-reel and Sage WF1F. I tried out the 4' Hog Creek poly with 2' of 5x tippet. The weather was a bit chilly, so the line stayed a trifle curly. The leader, however, always unrolled absolutely straight. I got several blue gills with a #12 heavy bead head. Very impressed with the 4' leader and will leave it on this line. Greased with Mucilin, it floats higher than any other leader I have tried. My only [and constant!] complaint is its near invisibility on and off the water. I dropped it on the grass at my feet and searched for 2 minutes before finding it. Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:34 am • # 8 
Administrator

I will be meeting up with Brad at the Northern Ohio Fly Tying Expo, I plan to buy some leaders from him then.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:03 am • # 9 
Administrator

J,
The guy really makes anice product- I am impressed with the 4' and plan to try the 5'soon.
My question is does he plan to make that in 1-3 wt in a 6'0" or is that too long?

les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 am • # 10 
Administrator

Les, I'm sure that Brad can make a 6' for our needs.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm • # 11 

keebranch wrote:
J,
The guy really makes anice product- I am impressed with the 4' and plan to try the 5'soon.
My question is does he plan to make that in 1-3 wt in a 6'0" or is that too long?

les

Les,
Brad & I have been friends for a few years, & I am very comfortable in telling you that he can (and WILL) make a leader literally to your specs. I KNOW he can make you a 6 footer. I have fished his furled leaders that were in the 7' range as I recall.
Mikey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:58 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Thanks mikey!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm • # 13 

Keebranch, is that water crossing in burleson? It looks quite familiar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:34 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Swalker 9513,
This crossing is on the border of Arlington & Dalworthington Gardens TX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:39 pm • # 15 

thanks.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply